Skip to main content

Fortune Favors the Bold


I wish I could say I feel rested, but I don’t. I haven’t opened the C&C document in almost three weeks now. A well-deserved sabitical, no doubt, but with one week seperating the collective “us” from NaNoWriMo, I’m having serious doubts. It stems from not being in the mindset of the characters, not looking at the world from their perspective. Granted, it’s the world I’ve created for them to frolick in, so should I feel more confident.
Saturday evening I was moping because I’d talked myself out of NaNo. Funny how I’m all self-doubting when I tell myself I’ll do it, but then I’m so cranky when I tell myself I won’t. Husband said he wanted Chinese. I was all for it because who doesn’t love a buffet? I did try to avoid the fortune cookies and their cheery messages. I love fortune cookies and ice cream, so it was bound to happen. I cracked one open and it said: ‘Use your abilities at this time to stay focused on your goal. You will succeed.’
Oh.
Fate? Coincidence? Push from a certain higher being? Fortune cookie distributors who sit behind their fancy desks and rub their hands together while they make billions off of slightly superstitious Chinese food consumers, but don’t particularly care what the message is as long as their pockets are bulging?
I’m not afraid to admit I am superstitious. I believe in signs. And if everything happens for a reason then I was supposed to go to the Chinese restaurant and . . . eat ice cream. Alright, fine, I was secretly hoping for a message. And I got it. I just don’t want to become super obsessed with this. There were days while I was writing C&C that I was so absorbed with it that nothing in the real world got through. That’s not good for me or anyone around me. But I seriously wanted to conquer the hell out of 2009. Hey, baby, it ain’t over til the fat lady sings.

Comments