Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pre-Finishing NaNo Winning Speech


I might be, but I’m so excited, I can’t help it. You might have noticed, but November tends to be a challenge for me. The cold weather, the time change, it all makes me very sleepy. Last night at six in the evening I was looking out the door thinking, okay time for bed. The nights seem very long when it gets dark early. My husband was gone hunting because it’s that time of year (kill something already man!). I had written almost my daily 1667 worth of words although I’m well above where we should be for NaNo. Last week was difficult for me, remember when I said the evil plot bunny hadn’t abadoned me? I no more than posted that and *poof* he vanished, the little rotter. I won’t say I hated what I was writing, but it wasn’t flowing the way I thought it should have. I re-wrote some and I was growing frustrated by being stuck in the 20k’s. Twenty-five seemed elusive and impossible. Saturday I went to one of the write-ins and I broke 30k. I was so proud of myself even though I was exhausted. I was five thousand above the goal line. Yay! Well, husband was hunting last night and I didn’t have anything better to do, so I sat down, turned my lap top on and wrote. And I wrote. And then I stopped. My husband came home, we talked about watching a movie. He went to bed and I wrote some more. At 35k I thought about stopping, but I thought eh, what’s another 1000? I finally did stop at 37,100. Yeah, talk about a good day for writing.
You read a lot about people panicking during NaNo. I think this is one of the best things that could have happened to me. I wish I could write a novel every month. Week two is a drag, but this is only Tuesday and I’m almost done. I revealed the really bad guy, Cassie got to be hysterical, Jake got shot, the other bad guy more or less got what was coming to him. This feels wonderful! I still have a way to go before she’s done and I’m trying to decide if JT should be longer because there are obviously some holes in the plot, but since it is a first draft, I am able to play with it a bit more.
My message to you today: do it kids, set a goal for yourself and write a novel. C&C had many, many horrible nightmare-like days, but JT has been a lesson in doing it and not worrying about the consequences. My husband said I worried too much about C&C. He’s right. I don’t have time to worry too much about JT. And it’s fun! The people who say that aren’t lying. I wish I was one of those NaNoers who could pound out 50k in two weeks, but I’m not that good. I wish my word count was 100,000, but alas it isn’t. Still, I’m extremely proud of myself for coming this far.
For those of you who weren’t able to participate in NaNo because the timing is bad, I definately recommend doing it a different month or trying to get in on it next year. Would I do it again? Absolutely

No comments:

Post a Comment