Skip to main content

Auld Lang Syne


So . . . two full days left in 2009. Not much, eh? I reckon that brings us around to talking about what we did or didn’t accomplish for the year. I can’t for sure say I’m excited about tackling 2010. You know, there’s that whole 2012 issue, if you believe that. Closing out aught nine brings you that much closer to twelve. I didn’t go see that movie by the way. I don’t really like end-of-the-world chaos. I might have skippedKnowing if I had known that’s what that movie was about. Also, The Day After Tomorrow. End of the world is no fun.
Funny memory: When I was wee child, mom was taking down calenders at the end of the year. It was 88 or 89, I forget. She said something about throwing them away. I said, well why can’t you just use them next 1989? Clearly, I didn’t have a very good grasp of time. I suppose as a child, you don’t realize how fast time slips by.
All right, enough putting off what I did (and didn’t) accomplish. 
List of things accomplished:
1) I got a tattoo, of which I am quite proud and the story is semi-humorous. I wish it was spring or summer so I could proudly display the tattoo. I wish I had a decent photo of it. It’s a four-leaf clover. I hid it from my mom for over six months because my parents disapproved of tattoos. My husband constantly reminded me I am an adult. 
2) I wrote a book. About Australia. A place I’ve never been to. Hey, people are people, you just have to fix the setting a bit. Not that it wasn’t a challenge.
3) I started and finished NaNoWriMo. Fifty thousand words in thirty days. It was easy, but *cough, cough*, the end result kind of (what word to use?) sucks. Oh, well, I did it. Building up to the whole thing was a lot worse than actually doing it.
4) I have been married for four years. I heard three is the new 20. That makes us married for about 27 years if you figure each year is roughly seven years. Kind of like a dog.
5) I’ve held down this job for four years, give or take. You have to discount that little bit of madness where I quit because I thought working for a bank would be better. Turns out I can’t handle other people’s money because when they spend it all, they yell at me like it’s my fault. I just check the balances, dude, I don’t actually spend your money. Sorry (oh, wait, you’re never supposed to apologize. Fine, I’m not sorry you spent all your money, but I am sorry you blamed me).
6) I got second place in the Missouri Literary Festival Award for Short Fiction. I will get first next time. As soon as I write some more brilliant short fiction. And they hold another contest. Apparently this is not an annual thing.
7) I’m still breathing. I read a sign on a church board that said miracles happen every day. True. I figure you wake up breathing, you’re doing pretty good.
Hey, I started this blog and I’m having fun with it. Woohoo.
Unaccomplishments:
1) Um, I got kind of fat. I don’t exercise near enough and I think my metabolism forgot to metabolise things. Plus, food tastes good. Darn you food!
2) I’ve gotten into the bad habit of sleeping in and not getting to work on time. Ooops. I keep telling myself all I have to do is put on clothes and warm up the car. Who cares if your hair isn’t brushed and you have no make up on? No one sees me anyway except the people I’ve worked with for four years. I’m not trying to impress them.
3) I still procrastinate. Bad.
4) While writing the novel mention in accomplishment #2, I ignored my husband and my dogs. I spent a lot of time inside my own head.
5) I still don’t see my mom enough.
6) I have never gotten around to bleaching my socks. Bugger.
Speaking of the unaccomplishment #2, my hair is driving me insane. I always bob it in the winter. Ever since 2006, which I realize isn’t always, but still. This year I haven’t bobbed it and now it’s touching my neck and getting under the neck of my coat and standing up in funny positions sometimes. My bangs are clear down to my nose now, which I had been keeping short and sort of side swept. I haven’t had a hair cut since October, but I thought I would let it grow out. It’s starting to get annoying. I don’t mind it (at least I don’t remember minding it) being long in the spring and summer, but in the winter I hate it. I really hate when the ends touch the back of my neck. It’s like creepy little fingers or something. I’m thinking about getting it trimmed, but I’m thinking about letting it grow. I just know it’s a pain in the rear to do anything with. My bangs aren’t long enough to secure without them looking stupid if I want the rest of it in a ponytail. Some days I want to get Britney Spears crazy and shave it off. I try to tell myself that some people would love to have hair, that I should feel fortunate for having it. I hate it anyway. Does this hatred spawn from always wearing it long when I was a kid? I don’t know.
Also, I would like to mention how popular this blog has become thanks to the post about the bubble coat. When I go to sitemeter to check my page stats, nearly every search engine that turns up on there is a result of someone searching for bubble coats. Even some hits from way across the world like Czech and Sweden or something because people want to know more about bubble coats. I hope my opinion of bubble coats helped you make a wise decision regarding the purchase of such a coat. I still sort of hate mine, but it’s growing on me a little. I just wish the zipper wasn’t always in my face.
Oh, and I haven’t worked on C&C v.2 in . . . two weeks? I sort of was working on something else that I’ve been playing with since I was a kid. Another story that is so unlike anything I’ve ever written. It’s a (yes, these words are pouring from my keyboard. Fine! I’m a nerd, sue me!) fantasy. Hey, I like R. A. Salvatore’s dark elf books. I can’t help it. He’s really a very sympathetic character. But I was working on this long before I ever read anything about dark elves. Before I watched Lord of the Rings. I just barely finished reading the whole series before the movies came out. I find Tolkien a little dry and I remember seeing the cartoon as a child and it gave me nightmares. Anyway, I haven’t gotten very far, but I’ve enjoyed it because it’s different from what I was doing. Got to stay flexible and all that. But I don’t think it’s a full length novel. I never intended for it to be much of anything. So far it isn’t. It comes and goes, but it’s plagued for years.
Whatever becomes of it and anything else for that matter, make sure you accomplish something sometime because there’s never going to be another 2009 (much to my dismay about 88 or 89). You can use 2010 to make up for the things you didn’t get done in 09. Pffft, like I’m really going to exercise. Let’s be realistic.

Comments