Skip to main content

Steampunked-ness


Boy, I’ve been busy the last couple days up to my eye balls doing some critiques. But it’s fun. I’m afraid I come off as really, really, extra, super, uber-mean. I don’t try to be mean, just helpful. I like to really get in there and examine the sentence structure. Not like I’m good with the grammar, but I try to fix the awkward sentences. And obviously, passive sentences aren’t really my thing. The fun thing about critiquing work is that you get to read stuff you wouldn’t normally read. I just read a sci-fi romance. Hunh. Pretty cool, considering I usually stick to the historicals. When the mood strikes, I go for contemporary. I just like to pick on the historicals because I go, that’s not accurate. That’s wrong. Yeah, I’m one of those people.
Lately I’ve been entertaining a new notion. I’m curious about steampunk. What’s steampunk, you say? Well, I’m not really sure. Ever watch the movie (I guess I’ll never stop making references to movies) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Or for that matter, I’m thinking Sherlock Holmes. Sorry, but I like Robert Downey Jr. I think it’s the eyes. Anyway, they’re clearly not your typical historically correct movies. They make use of some modern type devices. As best as I can puzzle out, this is sort of the idea behind steam punk. Wouldn’t it be fun to write a steampunk romance that was sort of historically, but used some modern type devices? Would it ever! (At this point we’re asking, gee, how many pies do you have your fingers in? Hey, I have ten fingers, thank you! Once I got an accurate numerology report that said I was a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. Yep.) But I don’t really know what the whole thing is about, so I’m not playing too hard with that idea. Although I have a plot and two super-awesome characters if I ever figure out what’s what. All my best ideas come to me in the shower. Probably because I’m really relaxed. It would give me a chance to use some humor, which I don’t do a lot of when I write historicals. My biggest problem is that I can’t find good resources to figure out what it’s about. Wikipedia was entirely too encyclopedic.
Interested in steampunk? Here are a couple of links I found:
Brass Goggles

Comments