Skip to main content

Cue The Cheesy Inspirational Music, Y'All!


Let’s go with Chariots of Fire. One of my favorites. Here’s the down low:
We hit 50,000 words at 2:03 a.m., November 28, 2010. The 50,000th word was: last.
Here’s how I feel: think the airplane scene in Miss Congeniality where Grace mimics the Miss America winner with fake tears and a stupid expression. “Look, she’s gonna cry again. Oh, if I only had a brain.”
What have I carried away with me this year? What important lessons have I drafted from this experience?
*crickets chirping* Um, be persistent?
Okay, here’s the real deal. I didn’t feel the horrible pressure like I did last year at 20k. I thought that mountain was a toughy. This year I zoomed through 20k, through 30k and found myself stuck at 40k. At one point last week I actually considered losing on purpose. Throwing the race, if you will. I thought, hell, I’ve got 42,000 words here, why do I need to finish it in November? I’ve been all over the place this month. Some days I was up a lot of words, some days I was down a lot. Thursday, I stood in front of the mirror and said, nah, I’m done. Who cares if I don’t reach 50,000 words? So what if I don’t get to put a winner badge on my blog?
Black Friday: I’m not crazy enough to get up early in the morning. Wait, get up, I didn’t go to bed until 3 a.m. I was reading, what can I say? We went to the in-law’s for belated Turkey Day (I ate deer), and when we got home, I picked up the netbook. And I wrote. I plunged ahead even though I was stuck at 42 something and firmly believing I’d never get out of it. It went off and on. The count slowly crawled from the muddy pit of I-can’t-do-this to the slightly more triumphant there’s-only-five-thousand-more-to-go. I faced the treacherous bad guy and his snarky cohort threatening the ship and everyone on it. Until I had to go to bed or risk my eyeballs falling out.
Saturday afternoon lent me the strength to tack on the ending I’d previously written, get the good guys out of terrible danger, although there was an explosion, and set things in motion for the final story in the trilogy.
Which leaves us with a second unedited manuscript and 16 pages of a new one. But *sobbing into elbow* I miss my characters. Oh, sure, I brought the hero from the third story into this one and I got to set him up as the guy he is, but I want my sky pirate! I feel so eager to write now that I’ve finished the first draft. Yet I smell burn-out.
Herein lies my decision-y thing. Do I give it a break for the next month or do I forge ahead and finish off the trio? Do I give it a break for the next month and settle in for January? Hmm. I’m really feeling this third hero and van Buren makes a guest appearance…. Eh, it’s give it a few days, at least. Let the glow of finishing wear off before we go whole hog.

Comments