Monday, August 29, 2011

Stuff I Find While I'm Walking 4 - The Real Estate Edition

Huzzah! Another Monday has pulled us into its fold. What can that possible mean? That's it's time for Stuff I Find While I'm Walking. Today I have a special treat for you, my preciouses. That's not a word. So what?

I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos this week. It must've been too dark for my little ol' camera to take good photos. But fear not, you shall not have to grope your way blindly through this blog. On this fantabulous Monday afternoon I bring you SIFWIW the Real Estate Edition. What I did was carry a big stick and poke it into holes to see if I could discover what lived in said holes. Okay, actually I only poked it in one hole and nothing came out, which is probably a good thing. I can see me and Restless getting tangled up and snake bit if something had come out of a hole.

You'll never guess what lived in this. I bet you can guess what's supposed to live in it. Instead, it contained, of all things, not chirpy little birds, but a wasper nest. Run, Restless, run! We got the heck out of there.

We actually did things a bit different this time. Instead of following the trail at Hayes Spring Conservation Area like good little hikers, we trudged up the creek bed because I desire to see the mysterious headwaters of Dry Crane Creek. The are neither mysterious, nor dry. In fact there's one spot that was easily chest deep on me. No, I didn't go for a swim. It's so clear you can see the bottom and the goodly sized creek fish swimming around the bottom.

This is the cave where the bats live. I don't want to visit the bats and I didn't see any bats, so I'm cool with that. Speaking of cool, since the water pops right up out of the ground here, it was pretty cool. Almost like a blast of air conditioning. I walked out on the stone dam in front of this cave to snap this picture of some pretty orange flowers. I think it's monkey flower, but don't hold me to that.

Pretty, yes, but surrounded by icky little spiders making webs from the tall grass to the trees. And then there was Restless, thinking it would be a great idea for both of us to stand in the narrow rock bridge. Go, dog, go. Do not crowd me around spiders or slippery rocks. I did see a pretty little female hummingbird sipping from some flowers planted near a rock wall by the cave. Rock wall was obviously man made, unless the squirrel union got together and... never mind. It's an old College of the Ozarks landscaping thing about the squirrels wearing tiny Landscaping hoodies and collecting sweet gum balls. You don't want to know.

What lives in this hole? I don't know, but I bet it has many, many jagged teeth. Restless wanted to investigate, I didn't. I won by virtue of being bigger and having her on a leash.

I like this hole. I think a crawdad made it. I haven't been down to Hayes Spring in a while because of the heat and the water level had dropped off quite a bit, so I'm assuming some crawdad dug himself a nice little clay condo and was forced to move out once the water started drying up. I'd say the hole was probably two inches in diameter. You know, the eatin' size of crawdad. If you're into seafood, which I'm not.

This is one of my favorite photos. These toad stools (They're toad stools, right? Pfft. I don't know. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't eat them) have an excellent view of wooded creek-y area. And there were some ants or some kind of little bugs crawling on them, so they had a great view too.

I know, I'm a wealth of information. You learn so much by coming to this blog and letting me take a stab at guessing what these weird plants and holes are.

Whatever holes and plant life your cameras take you to, may you go without being bitten, stung or poisoned. Good health and happy writing, y'all.

1 comment:

  1. I love these! They're so much fun! I especially love the wasps nest on a stick. :)

    ReplyDelete