Monday, August 22, 2011

Stuff I Find While I'm Walking Episode 3

It's that time again! I know you're super jazzed, especially because it's Monday morning! Pictures, pictures, pictures! Okay, enough chanting.

Boom.
Saturday husband and I ordered pizza and ate at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. We kept hearing this weird noise that sounded like gun fire and/or someone banging on a drum. We never figured out what it was. It was definitely something, but we don't know what. Here's our first photo.

This cannon sits in a spot known as Siegel's Final Position, where Col. Franz Siegel of the 3rd Missouri Infantry got whipped because he thought the troops coming his way were Union. Um, let's just say they weren't. His defeat helped seal the win for the Confederates in the first battle of the Civil War across the Mississippi.

The trail at WC marches up Old Wire Road, the main road from Arkansas to Springfield, Missouri way back when. Husband and I decided to jaunt along this road to see what this weird thing at the top of the hill was. I said it was fence posts. He didn't believe me. I was right. There's a little fenced off section made from twenty foot cattle panels with a sign that says no visitors beyond this point due to emergency conditions. I have no idea what it's talking about. On our way back down the hill, I was searching for fodder, er, photos for this blog. I found a spider.



A wolf spider, if I'm not mistaken, although I might be. Wolf spiders live in funnel webs, which is horrifying enough. But on a closer look. That hairy stuff on its back? It wasn't hair. It was baby spiders. I proceeded to be a girl, stand up shrieking and doing the Oh-God-that's-disgusting-get-it-away-from-me dance.

Are we done yet?
Yesterday, bored off my rocker because I haven't been walking much, I got my lazy carcass out of the chair and went to Old Wire Road Conservation Area with Restless. Here's Res, resting after about a mile when we paused to have a drink. It was probably in the upper eighties, low nineties, so we made sure to hydrate real well. Not that it stopped either of us, we marched from one end of the trail to the other at a pretty good clip. She lives up to her name and I was full of energy too after working hard on a new WIP all weekend.

It came a pretty good rain on Saturday evening, so when I went out Sunday afternoon, the mud was pretty thick. And stinky. I don't know what it is about the mud on Old Wire Road trail, but it smells like death. Ick. We didn't see any wildlife beyond bugs and butterflies, but I got this neat photo of raccoon tracks. I bet it had to go wash its hands after getting them dirty. If you've ever seen a tame coon washing its hands, you know how cute it is.
It ain't Hollywood, but hey.


We also found a fallen bird's nest. I hope mama and the babies were long gone before this took a tumble. There were no birdy bodies around so maybe they were safe. Not that I particularly like birds, especially after being attacked by one that flew out of a hanging basket I was trying to water a couple of years ago. I'm not really a screamer, but I almost had a fatal when that one flew out of its nest in my petunia basket.

Ah, nature. Happy walking and writing, brave Monday morning adventurers.

12 comments:

  1. I could've done without the spider picture!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should've seen it in real life! One of those babies actually jumped off her back and ran away. It was so creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between the ghostly sounds of an old battle and that spider.. I am creeped out and will not be going to Missouri any time soon … I was actually thinking of moving to the Arctic Circle to avoid spiders.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had some crazy big spiders this year. I knocked one out of its web yesterday by spraying it with ether. I think it probably just got high, but didn't die.

    Anyway, even if you moved to the Artic Circle, what if the spiders evolved and moved with you? Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.....that spider was AWESOME...LOL, just kidding, but I liked looking at it. That spider is working for the aliens I bet. And all its babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're probably alien/spider hybrid babies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are hybrids.. Once they bite you, they grow in a human clone. they take over your life. All the while you are stuck in a web, watching your life being taken over and you slowly fade away.. Your life-force sucked dry..
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure someday the comment you just left is going to be a documentary. Unfortunately, by then the hybrids will have terminated my blog and all proof of this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be part of a documentary, but by the hybrids. It will be the joke. "Some of the humans knew who we were and still we took over." The documentary will be aimed out into space called "How to take over a civilization for dummies."
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit I'm not really looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am hoping my hybrid will do the laundry.. I wouldn't mind being trapped in a web for that.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yeah. Well if they're gonna clean house and cook and stuff, I'm all for it. As long as I can move around in the web a little. Hanging by your arms day in and day out would kind of suck.

    ReplyDelete