Skip to main content

The Friday Five

Whew! We made it. In a few short hours we can once again celebrate the weekend by kicking our shoes off (though you may be wise to keep them on, as it's supposed to rain here all weekend), letting our hair down, and getting our lazy on.

What is on my mind this rainy Friday morn? I'll go with it. The changing of the seasons, that is. Just to eddy-cate you-all. Because summer is my favorite time of year. Blue water and sunshine are my drugs of choice. I can't tell you how confused my body gets once the days start getting shorter. Eight p.m. rolls around and I think it's bedtime because it's dark outside. Well, fortunately, the leaves haven't really started to change yet, so I can still enjoy the green, even if I do have to don my coat.

Five things about fall. Go!

#1) William Butler Yeats wrote a poem called The Wild Swans at Coole, describing the swans departing during fall. To get all symbolic, he compares the dying season to his life and how like summer leaches into autumn, life ebbs away. The romantic in me enjoys these lines:
Unwearied still, lover by lover,
The paddle in the cold
Companionable stream or climb the air;
Their hearts have not grown old;
Passion or conquest, wander where they will,
Attend upon them still.
#2)  Fall makes me think of Halloween. But what is this mysterious holiday about besides torturing black cats and sacrificing albinos (we heard some seriously weird stories growing up)? Related in part to festivals celebrating ancient Greek gods of bounty and harvest, Halloween is more closely identified with the Celtic celebration of Samhaim (pronounced sow-in or sow-an), which literally means 'summer's end'. The tradition of carving pumpkins comes from the practice of carving turnips into lanterns to remember the souls suffering in Purgatory.

#3) Fall means the end of daylight saving time. Daylight savings is a great idea, giving us more daylight and supposedly saving us on our electric bill. I applaud Gordon Vernon Hudson for introducing modern daylight saving, but curse whoever insisted it go back to "normal" time in the fall. Why can't they leave it alone? Studies show pedestrian traffic accidents increase during the fall right after "fall back". Note to self: don't walk along roads in the dark. This year fall back occurs November 6th. Never would be good for me.

#4) September fact: President William McKinley was assassinated September 14, 1901. He was succeeded by Vice President Theodore Roosevelt, on the same day and served until 1909. Roosevelt is considered to be one of the greatest American presidents to date.

#5) In the Middle Ages, people believed that because birds can fly so high, they migrated to the moon. Ancient Egyptians also believed that smaller birds rode on the backs of larger ones because there was no way the small birds could fly as far. Silly people!


Comments

  1. Thanks for the history lesson.
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live to please. Mostly myself, but it's my duty as a collector of useless knowledge to enlighten the masses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your knowledge. Now I can pretend I'm smart and tell people I know how people from the Middle Ages thought birds migrated to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretend ha! You are smart. Smart enough to write super-cool books and follow this blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment