Friday, October 28, 2011

The Friday Five - If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say

It's hard, being a writer. In some ways, you're awash at sea, like Tom Hanks and Wilson, desperately seeking rescue. In many other ways, you're drowning in a flood of other writers, all fighting for a place at the top. The top is more like a swimming pool in Monte Carlo with endless rays, margaritas and cabana boys fanning your golden locks from your face and rubbing lotion all over your body. For some reason that brought to mind Stephen King. *shudder*

We all want to be petted. It's something that must be ingrained in us. Except for hermits, who prefer to hang out by themselves (I guess. I'm not a hermit... yet). As writers, we're trying to tell a story. We're giving our readers something to believe in. Unless...

Five things people say after reading your book and what they really mean.

#1) They say: It's good. (either said really fast or with hesitancy)
They mean: I read the first page and then decided to clean my house, do the laundry, fix dinner, get the kids ready for bed and I didn't remember your book until you asked about again.

#2) They say: It was good, but you should do this.
They mean: You should do this. Forget that (I'll even burn if for you) and write this.

#3) They say: How did you come up with this idea?
They mean: No, forget I asked. I don't want to hear about the dream you had.

#4) They say: It wasn't really my type of reading.
They mean: It's no one's type of reading. You're not even going to make it to the $1 table at BAM.

My personal favorite:
#5) They say: Nothing.
What that expressions means: Please don't make me say anything. (Or: Are you really sure you want me to comment?)

Just a bit of humor for your Friday. I hope no one has said any of these things to you lately. Or ever.

2 comments:

  1. LOL...LOL, these are all true!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love critique groups. The feedback isn't tainted by someone's love/hate/fear of you. They also have a better sense of what the writing techniques are all about. Sometimes, it's a "tad" hurtful when our "babies" are received with less praise than we like BUT, like surgery, it cuts out the dross and helps us refine our work.

    ReplyDelete