Monday, November 7, 2011

Stuff I Find While I'm--Oh Shoot, I Didn't Go Walking

I had an ORA meeting Saturday and then I spent a couple of hours upping my word count for NaNoWriMo on Saturday. It was a lovely day and we hadn't set our clocks back yet, so it wasn't like I didn't have daylight hours in which to walk, I just didn't.

Yesterday, as we were trying to adjust to the time change, we slept in late and I finished a book I was reading before we decided to take in a movie. Puss In Boots. It was all right. Not the same story quality as Shrek, perhaps, but I had trouble getting my mind around a cat as a hero. Humpty, however, was an eggs-cellent villain. Bad pun? Oh, sorry. No, I'm not.

I should think you would pardon me for not walking as I experienced my first earthquake Saturday night. Actually, I guess it was an aftershock, but it still scared me. I was about to run for a doorway. While I was sitting in my chair and reading, the propane heater started to rattle. Then the floor started to shake. I looked at my husband. He said, "It's just the dog scratching outside."

The floor started to shake harder and the chair under me was trembling. Some noise outside sounded like low thunder and the house groaned. I said, "I think it's an earthquake!"

He said, "I don't feel anything."

I stared at him blankly. It was an earthquake, how can you not feel an earthquake? I've experience this sensation one other time in my life, but I was asleep and thought I was dreaming about earthquakes, only to later find out there had been a tremor. The shaking this time went on for probably a minute or two, didn't knock anything off the walls or anything serious, but it was a little nerve-wracking. It was probably twenty minutes later or so that we heard the first reports on the radio. No one was killed or serious injured in Oklahoma, which is always a relief. Geologists are saying it was a 5.6. It's just that you expect to hear about tornadoes out there, not earthquakes.

I couldn't believe when I looked out in the yard yesterday how bare the trees were. It's been pretty windy though, so it makes sense. Blah, I hate fall and winter. The trees are skeletal, the sky is gray and pretty soon there'll be snow. Go away cold weather!

Just to prove that what I've said about my instinct to hibernate must be true. I am, in fact, part bear. I found these weird hair decorations at a department store and thought, those look like bear ears! So I had to try them on. I have some other hat pictures for another time.

I have to call this blog good for today. I've got a flare up of tendinitis because of serious typing this weekend. Peace, love and good writing to you all!

3 comments:

  1. You are just so darn cute. Your hat escapades always make me laugh. :) Happy future hat adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your WIP word count, even if it did keep you from walking! And those hair decorations are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post--your sense of humor is delightful.

    I agree that you look adorable in the bear ears.

    Great news about your NaNo word count--keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete