Skip to main content

Stuff I Find While I'm Walking - More Hats


Hey, it's windy out there, you don't want me to get blown away. So I scoured the shops again and found for you more hats. I don't think I'll ever be able to top that chicken hat/face mask thing though. I did find something of interest while driving through Webb City, Mo. A giant set of praying hands. What in the world? The idea of building them was introduced in 1971 by a young art student. You can learn more about them at The Praying Hands Statue.

The other day my husband and I went to Gordman's, a great department store that brags about having the same brands and designs for less than the higher department stores. I don't know about the same stuff, but they do have some good things. I got a new purse for $9. What a bargain! And I got to try on some really great hats. Like this poofy fake-wool and pseudo-suede one. That could keep you warm on a winter day. It's very jaunty, don't you think?


I'm always a fan of the cloche hat from the '20s and '30s. They're always too big for me (I have a small head, I hope that doesn't reflect on the size of my brain) and fall down over my eyes, but they're so cool because I think the fashion from the '20s and '30s was ultra feminine in a simple way.

This is another one of those old fashioned looking hats. A big spray of feathers on the front really dresses up a cloche hat. I think that one goes great with the outfit I was wearing. Of course, I typically don't buy hats because I end up never wearing them. I have an awesome black fedora that I only wear to funerals. Okay, I only wore it to one funeral, but really, I feel kind of dorky wearing hats on an every day basis.

I like this one and I should have turned the other direction because it also had a little spray of feathers. It was like a Swiss Mountain guy hat or an adventurer hat. It would look great with lederhosen. I don't own any of those, so once again, that would be a bad purchase for me. It also reminds me of this guy I used to work with. He had a Bailey hat much the same shape as this one, only the crown was torn apart from the brim. It had a red band around it that said Far Chief, because he was pretending to be a fire chief at an amusement park. He used to just beat the holy ever-loving tar out of that thing. It would wind up down on the floor, crumpled into a lump and then he'd just pop it back out and slap it back on his head. I think he finally had to get a new one because obviously it could only take so many years of that kind of abuse.

Well, there you are. Lovely hats for your Monday. Never let it be said that I don't keep up with fashion.


Comments

  1. LOL, I like it when you show hats on your blog. I like the first one. I have a black one almost the same and I wear it quite often--especially on the days I don't feel like doing anything with my hair.

    I also like the fashions from the 20's and 30's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment