Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Author Interview with Robin Murphy


Today we're doing 10 questions with author Robin Murphy. Let's give her a big hand!
What's your book/current WIP about?
Sullivan’s Secret is about Dr. Marie Bartek, whose life has been uneventful as the local veterinarian on Sullivan's Island, SC, until her ability to see spirits returns after eighteen years. After confiding in her best friend and realizing their interests in the paranormal, they organize a paranormal investigation team called Sullivan's Island Paranormal Society, SIPS. Marie learns to channel her ability through the help of one of the team members, but not before learning the spirits are trying to warn her about the murders taking place on Sullivan's Island. Sullivan's Secret captivates the reader with murder, suspense, and the world of the paranormal.
Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story?
Marie absentmindedly touched her neck and felt the bandage. “Is this going to leave a scar?”
Gale leaned forward in her chair and wiped the tears off of Marie’s face with a tissue. “No, it won’t. I asked the doctor the same thing. I mean, come on, you just don’t look good in a turtleneck.”
Marie began to laugh. “I know, right?”
What's your next project?
I am working on the second book in the Sullivan’s Secret series. Marie and the SIPS team will begin to help with current crimes or cold cases.
Describe your writing in a sentence.
My writing puts me into a euphoric state and lets me slip into the fantasy of my story.
Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
I would have to say I choose the names. Some are personal to me, some are just people I have met briefly, or maybe characters on a TV show that appeal to me. There are times though, when a name will appear to me on the fly when I’m writing too.
Plotter or panster?
I’m going to have to say 20% plotter and the rest a panster. I have a good basis for what my story is going to be about and where it will take place. But, that’s what I love about fiction writing, you can change it to suit your mood...and the story. It’s more of a thrill writing the story by the seat of my pants, that’s usually when I get the best rush. There are many people who have a strong opinion on which way is the best, but I think every writer has to do what works best for them.
Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
I need a quiet space, I’ve been told I have ADD...I still argue with that, but in this case, background noise distracts me. I lose the creative process.
What are you currently reading?
I’m reading Sylvia Browne’s, Secret Societies. I do a lot of research for my stories, even though its fiction, you do need to have fact based information. Sullivan’s Secret involves a psychic medium, and I consider Sylvia to be one of the greats (my opinion), and I’ve learned a great deal from her writing.
What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
Setting the Scene: As I stroll down the red carpet, “Who are you wearing this evening?” No, just kidding...I really don’t know, that’s a good question. I would have to honestly say that any and all questions that I’ve been asked to this point after being published have been “the question”. This has been such an amazing ride for me, and I hope to continue with future interviews in my writing career.
People think I’m weird because...
Wow, nobody has ever said I was weird...to my face that is. But my husband does tell me I’m a little goofy...usually after something fantastic has happened and I’m doing my silly victory dance in the middle of the floor. Okay, yeah...that is weird.
Excerpt from Sullivan's Secrets (page 36):
Tina leaned against the sink while Marie washed her hands. Her too short pink skirt and too low cut blouse was clinging to her tiny frame. Her bleached blonde hair was due for a root job and her lime green nail polish was chipping on the ends. “Everyone’s been talking about it. Jimmy Thomas brought the newspaper in after delivering our water. I just love when he unloads all those five gallon bottles.”

Marie smiled and rolled her eyes. “Tina, you amaze me how you can change the subject as quickly as you do. Now let’s focus more on our patients and less on Jimmy Thomas.” They walked out into the hall and Marie grabbed her clipboard. “Please hand me the file on Jasper and give me five minutes before you call them in.”


Midwest Book Review of Sullivan’s Secret:
“Communing with the spirits may leave you with some very unwanted responsibility. Sullivan's Secret follows Marie Bartek as she rediscovers her talents to communicate with spirits. Working with friends in a paranormal society, she finds that her skill leaves her with the responsibility to stop murders from sweeping her town and she has to put out her own neck to stop the hysteria. Sullivan's Secret is a fascinating read that will be hard to put down.”

Sullivan’s Secret can be purchased at:

Amazon paperback: http://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-Secret-Robin-Murphy/dp/1461091365
Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Sullivans-Secret-ebook/dp/B004WP38XU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2
Barnes & Noble Nook Book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sullivans-secret-robin-murphy/1100536859?ean=2940012332547
Facebook author page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robin-Murphy/161123980616276
Twitter page: https://twitter.com/#!/murfett
LinkedIn page: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-murphy/38/213/338
Goodreads member – author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4837368.Robin_Murphy


Bio:
Robin Murphy was born in the small coal mining town of Windber, Pennsylvania and remembers a wonderful childhood with her parents and two older brothers.
She has worked in the administrative field over the last thirty years and has gained a wealth of knowledge and experience. She is currently employed as an Administrative Associate at Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.
Robin has four children – two daughters, Jennifer and Sue, and two sons, Michael and Nathan – and three granddaughters – Tessa, Anna, and Abigail, with a fourth grandchild (grandson) on the way.
She and her husband, Bob were married in Sharpsburg, MD in 1998 by local historian, Rev. John Schildt. After falling in love with the town, they decided to move to Sharpsburg three years later. In 2002, they bought a log home, circa 1783, and continue to restore the fourteen-room house. It's been a true labor of love.
Even though Robin has to squeeze her writing into creative times of the day, it is during those moments she feels exhilarated and renewed. “There is no greater feeling than to have found my passion in writing.” She also finds time to swim and loves to travel.
She is a member of the Sisters in Crime organization and was voted as one of the “50 Great Writer’s You Should Be Reading”.

Thanks for coming by and great answers, Robin!

3 comments:

  1. Great interview. Your book sounds very interesting, Robin. What drew you to write about this subject? Have you had paranormal experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview.
    Robin, your book sounds very very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Wanda, I have been a ghost hunting/paranormal junkie for the last 10 years, lol. It probably began when we moved to Sharpsburg, MD...Antietam Battle took place here, so there are many accounts of paranormal activity in many of my neighbors homes. I haven't had any personal experiences though...not yet :)

    ReplyDelete