Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Author Interview - Lisa Kumar



Hey everyone! Hope you're excited! Today we have an interview with author Lisa Kumar!


What's your book/current WIP about?
I have a fairly new release out. Bound by the Mist is a full-length fantasy romance that’s somewhat different from others in its genre in that it’s character-driven and doesn’t feature the inevitable kick-ass heroine.  Cal, the heroine, is a fairly normal college student. Well, she’d be normal if her strange visions and dreams of an elvin prince and his land hadn’t convinced the people around her she had mental problems when she was a teenager.

Relian is the hero of the story and is, of course, the elvin prince. He’s intrigued by Cal, even though he intially finds her very humanity puzzling and isn’t happy about the reason for her arrival in his land.
I had a neat logline for the story, but I lost it. I’ll see if I can remember it from heart. Here it is:
When a college student finds herself in an another dimension, she must discover the truth behind her arrival, all the while falling for the elvin prince who conspires to bind her to him.

Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story?
I love the simple intimacy of these lines. To me, they’re so sensual without even one item of clothing being removed.
When he lifted his still damp hand, flicking his fingers to dislodge a few errant drops that clung to his skin, her throat grew dry. Those same drops landed on her cheek, where Relian tenderly traced their path with a finger. He moved a step closer, bringing their bodies mere centimeters apart. Somewhere in the recesses of her mind, the meaning of “ves atin” swam into her bloodstream. Yes, falling water—it fell, trickling through her, along with his voice.

What's your next project?
I’m working on the second novel in the Mists of Eria series. I don’t have a title for it yet. I just call it Maggie’s story. Yeah, real creative, I know.

Describe your writing in a sentence.
Escape into fantasy where love and magic mingle.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
Sometimes  I just know a character’s name. At other times, it’s a fight to choose a name that fits. I’ve even written a whole manuscript and then went back and changed a secondary character’s name. Lol, I still worry that I might’ve missed one or two spots in the story that had his old name even though I used the search and find function on Word.

Plotter or panster?
I used to be a straightup panster, but decided since I didn’t want to rewrite my manuscripts a hundreds times, I better incorporate just a smigeon of plotting to my repetitoire. I’ve got to admit, though, I hate plotting out my novels, so I’ll have to see if it really works for me.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
Depending on my mood, sometimes I crave music while writing. Other times, it’s just a big distraciton.

What are you currently reading?
I’m not currently reading anything. But I’ve just read Love’s Prophecy by Brenda Dyer, and I plan to read Night with a Dom by Casea Major. Love’s Prophecy is a great paranormal that has plenty of action, romance, love, and hot guys.


What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
Oh, this one’s tough. Maybe “What job/profession would you like to earn a living from if you could choose any one you wanted?” I’d have to answer that by saying I’d want to be an author. Lol, I’m an author now, but not quite (okay, not even close to) earning a living off it.

People think I'm weird because...
I like to read and write. To a writer those are normal things, but to the average person who barely picks up a book, they do seem weird.



Blurb:
A magic that's fading
Relian has lived a life that hasn’t changed in millennia, and he likes it that way. As Prince of the Erian people, he has his conscripted duties. And a human, even one as desirable as Cal, does not fit into them. But as the enemy darkindred knock on the borders and the magic of his people fades, he might just have to find room.
A love that's binding
College Student Cal Weston spends a good portion of her time trying to keep people from thinking she's crazy, including herself. And with good reason. But her carefully constructed reality is turned upside down when she discovers that Relian, the seductive elvin prince who has been starring in her sensuous fantasies, isn’t merely a myth and his magical kingdom really exists. Now she’s bound to an elf and stuck in a land where no one, least of all Relian, is willing to spill any answers about the truth of her arrival.
Two people, two worlds meet in the mist
Even as love grows between them, can they lay aside their differences to embrace a life together?

Excerpt: 
Cal gritted her teeth. The cheap strobe light that flashed in one corner of the room sent pin- pricks of pain through her eyes. She should’ve never let Maggie and some other friends talk her into coming to this house party. But it was Friday, and she made it through the week without any strange occurrences. Well, except for the bracelet that wouldn’t come off, no matter what she tried or used on it. A blowtorch probably wouldn’t harm a hair on its head.
She smiled wryly. She hadn’t exercised that option yet. But she’d tried many others, much to her detriment.
Once the shock of the bracelet’s appearance had worn off, anger had won out over any guilt. She’d attacked the offending piece of jewelry with scissors, only to become furious when they failed to make a cut. In her fervor she accidentally nicked her wrist more than once before finally admitting defeat, at least for the time being. She’d had to leave it be since she didn’t want to injure herself beyond repair.
She fingered the bracelet through the long-sleeve shirt she wore to cover up the scratches. Frowning, she yanked her hand away. If only she could tear her thoughts away so easily. While dreams didn’t haunt her as before, her mind definitely flouted her control. She thought about him all the time. Damn, had she been naive enough to think she could come and celebrate her “normal” week when she wasn’t normal at all? Not that she was into the party scene, but she—like any red-blooded girl—enjoyed the attentions of good-looking young men. Never had so many shown an interest in her before, but she couldn’t muster up the slightest bit of interest in any of them. They weren’t...Relian.
She fought off another set of persistent hands. God, she needed to find Maggie and return home, with or without her. The lights, the music, the guys – her nerves were cracking. When she’d freed herself, she stalked through the throng of people. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw Maggie’s light golden-brown hair.
Turning to go in that direction, Cal stumbled to a stop.
Just ahead of her, slightly off to the left in a corner, was a familiar soft mist. Like a marionette on a string, it drew her. When she neared, just discernable were tumultuous gray eyes that glared in a pinched face.
Cal shook her head at the accusation in his gaze. “I didn’t ask for this.” She didn’t know if she meant the party and the over-eager guys, or him and his crazy world of dreams and mists.
“I’m sorry.” Her apology came out a whisper. Turning, she shoved through the crowd toward the exit.

Author Bio:
Lisa Kumar is a wife, mother, and romance writer who grew up in small-town Indiana. She now resides in the suburbs of Chicago with her husband and son, who are used to sharing her attention with her laptop. When not spinning tales of romance and fantasy, she can be found with her nose buried in a book, or more accurately, her e-reader. Her scholastic background is in psychology, which enabled her to get low-paying jobs in the human services sector. Needless to say, she's now writing full-time.

Links:
Lisa's website: http://www.lisakumar.com/
Amazon
B&N
All Romance

Great interview. It's alway so fun to learn about authors. Thanks for stopping in Lisa!

11 comments:

  1. I loved Bound By the Mist and cannot wait for Maggie's story. (none so subtle hint there.) Congrats Lisa. It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, thanks for interviewing me on your blog!

    Casea--thanks for your support, lady! You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I loved Bound by the Mist and can't wait to get my hands on the next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - great interview, ladies! Loved this: A magic that's fading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I loved this statement the best....enabled her to get low-paying jobs in the human services sector. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the interview.

    Lisa, lol, I loved your answer to the question: People think I'm weird because...

    Bound By the Mist is an extraordinary book. And like Casea Majors, I can hardly wait for Maggie's story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks for stopping by, guys! Your comments were great.

    I'm working on Maggie's story. I do need to hustle on it, I agree. Lol, I just keep getting side-tracked by real life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview and the excerpt was excellent. :)

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading interviews to learn about authors and this one was a lot of fun. Congrats on the book and I'm adding it to me "to be read" list as it sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete