Skip to main content

SIFWIW - Empire Park

There's a good-sized park and fancy paved walking trail on Lake Taneycomo in Forsyth, Missouri that my husband and I visited yesterday. We chose that place because you can see some of the tornado damage from across the lake and Powersite Dam (the first hydroelectric dam in Missouri). Powersite Dam is at the end of Taneycomo and the beginning of Bull Shoals Lake. It's more like a river than a lake because it's always moving and is very cold and home to several species of trout.

From the shoreline, you can certainly see where the tornado wiped out a whole bunch of trees. It just laid them over like tall grass in a field. I told my husband it reminds me of Ice Storm Ted in 2007. Ice Storm Ted was not the official weatherman name of the 2007 ice storm, but we were without power for 11 days and it was a freaking nightmare. We figured if they name hurricanes, we deserved a name too, so we still refer to it as Ted and pray that nothing like that frozen hell ever occurs again.

On the left of this picture is where the damage was. In real life, you can see tarps flapping where home owners and volunteers have covered gaping holes in houses to prevent further damage to the interiors.


Another shot of across the lake, closer this time, but you still can't really see how the trees are laid over. My crappy phone camera does an amazing job for a 1 pixel, but it just can't zoom in to get that kind of imagery. You can see how hard the wind was blowing yesterday by the white caps farther out.

Didn't see any boats out on it and you can't blame them. You should've seen my hair after wandering out for just a few minutes.

The raccoons had been busy, opening up mussel shells and tearing the pinchers off of crawdaddies--that's crayfish for you Yankees and mudbugs to our neighbors in the South. My husband says they caught them as kids, boiled them in tin cans and pulled the meat out like you would with a crab. Um, ick. I don't eat anything that comes out of the water like that.

I'm delighted to tell you that I've seen trees and flowers in bloom and I even saw one tree (I think it was a weeping willow) that had leaves budding out on it. I was thrilled. It'll be spring before you know it. God knows the weather's certainly been spring-like, with temps in the 70's and tornadoes already. And gee, storm season is just beginning. We're due some rain and t-storms this week. Ah, well. That's why we enjoy sunny days like yesterday in spite of the wind.



Comments

  1. Wow, tornadoes scare the crap out of me. We don't have them where I live, but parts of Canada does--in the Prairies.
    But things aren't all rosy where i am. We have earthquakes and we are over due for "the big one." We are talking 9 on the quake scale. A 9 is devastation and death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the idea of earthquakes. I've only experience two and they were both very, very small and I was asleep during one, I thought I dreamed it. The last one we had was out of Oklahoma where they've had over a hundred, I think last year. My husband didn't believe me when I said it was an earthquake--but that's what it was.

    Tornadoes and storms didn't used to bother me, but this year I'm kind of leery about them. Not looking forward to more bad weather. I just want some nice sunshine and some upper 70's so I can wear shorts and flip flops!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment