Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Author Interview - Janice Grove

Hey y'all! Welcome Janice Grove to the blog on this lovely Wednesday morning!

What's your book/current WIP about? 
Oh, well I actually have a couple of WIP. One is the 3rd book in my Zeppelin series where we see the Remington family finally back home and getting settled, only to find that not everything that targets their newly formed family is supernatural. I have started a werewolf story that honestly even I have no actual idea where it’s going, although it seems to want to be a romance of sorts. And I have a futuristic steampunk genre story that has a bit of paranormal/mad scientist/militaristic/family dynamic stuff going on. Why yes, it is a bit crowded in my head, thank you!

Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story? 
One that really stands out is when David hits a boy for calling Micah retarded, and a girl tells him that he did the right thing. David looks at her and says, “I know, he’s my brother.” It just shows that family bonds don’t have to be long in the making to be strong ones.

What's your next project? 
Well, I’m so very thrilled with the creation of my own publishing company, Imzadi Publishing! Although I’m still putting everything together, I can’t wait to bring on new authors who want more of a one-on-one experience, instead of worrying about getting lost in the shuffle of some of the other publishing houses. 

Describe your writing in a sentence. 
Oh that’s easy… fly by the seat of my pants! Seriously, I’m usually just as surprised as anyone else about how the stories go. I’m just the vessel, the characters are the ones who write what they want said. 

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears? 
Well, you know I think it’s a mixture of both. I can name some, but if a character is adamant about what their name actually is, then I have to listen. In fact I had to wrestle with one recently because I could have sworn he said his name was Dorian and I just could not figure out how that fit who he is. It took a bit of coaxing, begging and pleading, but he finally made it clear what his name really is.

Plotter or panster? 
LOL definitely pantser! If I write out a whole plot, then I get tangled up. However, when I have a general idea of what I want in the story, it usually flows easily.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write? 
Music is a huge plus! I’ve found that I haven’t done as much writing since my computer ate my tunes.

What are you currently reading? 
Well, currently I have Trinity Bound by Carrie Ann Ryan half read, I’ve also started on John Grisham’s latest one, Calico Joe. However, I’m really looking forward to reading The Sail Weaver by Muffy Morrigan (it’s already loaded and ready to go on my tablet).

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it? You know, I can’t think of anything. It’s always a thrill for me to be interviewed, so I wouldn’t presume to answer something that wasn’t asked!

People think I'm weird because... well, because I’m weird! I seem to always have a scene or dialogue running through my head so I’m often either mumbling, talking, laughing or crying to myself. I’ve even had hand gestures going on, to help me work out a scene, while driving (that’s enough to freak out the kids, let me tell you!).

Author bio:
Janice Grove lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma with her husband, children and grandchildren. Her first book, The Rain Song, was published in 2010 and was quickly followed by Going to California in 2011, both released by Comfort Publishing. She likes to unwind from the family’s small business by immersing herself in her own creations, reading anything that crosses her path and listening to different arrays of music from Alice in Chains to Led Zeppelin and Mozart to U2.

You can find her online at:

Thanks for coming by, Janice!


7 comments:

  1. Great interview. Good luck with the publishing company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting name for your publishing company. Good look with that! I have to have silencio for my writing - no music or tv. Funny how we're all different that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and I'm glad I'm not the only muttering away to myself. I find when I'm hoovering to be the worst as I actually think I can talk aloud when I hoover and no-one will hear lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun interview, ladies! Janice, your books - the finished and the WIPs - sound great! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the publishing company... Great interview!

    ReplyDelete