Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Author Interview - Marianne Spitzer


Today we have author Marianne Spitzer sharing with us her interview and celebrating her debut release. Congratulations, Marianne!


What's your book/current WIP about?
Recently released as an e-book, Gypsy Spirits is a supernatural mystery:
Spirits? Madness? Which haunts Daniel? His teenage bride, Annamarie, must answer the question while she deals with her husband’s controlling behavior and horrific fear of spirits he believes exist in the surrounding woods near their home. During an argument, her anger erupts and she yells a few odd words at her husband, which she explains is her Gypsy curse. A bad day at work convinces him the curse is real, but after the brutal death of his best friend, his belief in the curse and his terror of the spirits escalate. Frightening events spiral out of control and Annamarie must fight for her husband’s safety, his sanity and her own.

Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story?
Grief is an extraordinarily strange state of mind. At that moment, Annamarie believed grief was a thin line somewhere between insanity and hell.

What's your next project?
Finishing the sequel to “Gypsy Spirits” and editing my 2011 NaNo novel, “The Letter.”

Describe your writing in a sentence.
Mystery is my genre of choice and no matter what I start to write ends up turning into some sort of mystery either apparent or added in a subtle sub plot.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
Both. My main character names are always chosen and researched, but sub-characters that need a name seem to come to me from a quiet place in my mind.

Plotter or pantster?
I am most definitely a plotter. I use a rough outline, a timeline, character studies, and do research about places, events and names that would be popular in whatever time period I am lost in at the moment.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
Quiet music always, but it changes depending on the piece I am working on. During Gypsy Spirits I had a long play list of rock and roll tunes. While I enjoy the music, I do prefer a quiet place which is why I usually write late at night.

What are you currently reading?
I just finished Toby Neal’s “Blood Orchids” and the “Hunger Games” trilogy and am taking a bit of a break from reading and spending more time writing. Anyone who hasn’t read them should. The next book on my list to read is “Family Secrets” by Ruth Barrett.

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
Who would I most like to collaborate with on a novel? That would be Wendy Corsi Staub, she is my favorite mystery writer. However, after reading “Blood Orchids,” adding Toby Neal to the collaboration would be exciting.

People think I'm weird because... I tend to see a story everywhere. If someone asks me to make up a story about our waitress or a person waiting in line at the store I’ll do it. My imagination tends to run wild and free which makes my friends and family wonder about me. I also have a hand held recorder that I use whenever an idea strikes me. It doesn’t matter where I am except church or the movie theater, then I leave it in my purse.

Bio:
My passion is writing. I have been writing short stories since I was in grade school. Most were in the form of essays relating real life events. Many were purely imaginary trips to magical places and times. I have self-published a book of essays, Dad and the Roses, and a book of children’s stories, Princess Brittney Stories, for my granddaughter, Brittney. Gypsy Spirits is my debut novel and the first in the series of three “spirit” books.

Links:
Amazon: http://amzn.to/Jg9AmA
Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/INVvxS
Blog: http://mariannespitzer.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MarianneSpitzer
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marianne-Spitzer-Writer/267448986610015

Thanks for being here today and good luck with your release, Marianne!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Allison, I enjoyed it.
    Blessings, Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I love making up stories from just about anything too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Marianne. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete