Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Treasure Hunter's Lady in Print


This is a photo of my mom holding the first print copy of The Treasure Hunter's Lady. You should have seen her face when I pulled it out of my purse. It was like she'd won the lottery. Which is funny because I didn't even let her keep this copy. I feel kind of bad because it was my brother's birthday and here I whip out this print edition, upstaging him. I mean, being 39 is nothing to sneeze at, especially when the doctors told my parents he'd never make it out of his twenties. So big
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAME! 

I didn't get home until pretty late on Saturday, if you read yesterday's post, you'll remember it was a crazy busy weekend. But I was hoping and wishing and praying that my proof would come. I relentlessly checked the mail every day since it shipped. I opened the door and there it was! I wanted to tear the tape off of it the second the box was in my hands, but we were just down the hill from the house, so I made myself wait.

The scissors came out, the tape was split, the flap opened and there it was:
Ignore the toilet paper in the background.
It was a little surreal. I mean, I've done everything from start to finish on this book. Writing it, obviously, formatting, designing the cover, re-formatting for print, re-designing the cover. I've laughed, cried and bled more non-real blood over this thing than maybe anything I've ever done in my life.

Of course, it looks different in print than it does online, the font color is a little darker and it's pretty good sized, especially compared to my e-reader, but I would look away from it and look back and be like whoa! There it is! I carted it around all day Sunday, just holding it, flipping through it to look at chapter headers. Reading the dedication and the About the Author. A little obsessively. Maybe.

I also put a plastic cover over it. I know it's just a proof copy, but it's my proof copy. It's one of those things that I made happen. And it's one of the coolest things I ever made happen.

No rest for the wicked, so I'm still working on the edits for The Sky Pirate's Wife, but I think I'm nearly satisfied with the cover. At least this time I know what I'm doing, so I can work with the e-book and print formats together for SPW and get those out around the same time. BTW, July 16th, if you were wondering when I'm releasing Van Buren and Sophie into the world.

You can buy The Treasure Hunter's Lady in print or as an ebook for Kindle, Nook, or any e-reader (or your computer) at Smashwords before The Sky Pirate's Wife comes out!

2 comments:

  1. Huge congrats. It is so fantastic that your family is so supportive and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, I'm so damn happy for you--and proud. You have worked hard and it shows--and all of your hard work is paying off.
    THL is a beautiful story--and now it is available in print--AHHHHHH--and it's a beautiful book!

    And I have a prediction! I predict, Sky Pirate's Wife is going to be a smash hit. I'm loving it! V.B is an excellent character.

    ReplyDelete