Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Fly Killer of Realization

Forgive me while I laugh at myself. Something just occurred to me. I've always said I don't understand plotters. I envy them, yes, I do, for being able to write out their ideas and follow a plan. Technically I should be an awesome plotter, because I'm very visual, but when I write, I just throw my story to the wind and let the character take over.

Splat.
This morning as I sit here, wondering how to bring an end in 10,000 words, give or take, to my current WIP The Turncoat's Temptress, something hit me.

I am a plotter. I'm just a really slow, crazy, gotta write an entire book before I realize that I hate certain parts of it and I can do better kind of plotter.

For example: The Treasure Hunter's Lady had an entirely different setting the first time around. Granted, I only changed the setting (and therefore the plot because it required shifting cultures and myths) because an agent told me the book would never sell if it was set in Australia. (I waver back and forth over whether the changes were a mistake. There's really no way to know now.) Otherwise, I'd have been fine with how the book originally ended.

But in The Sky Pirate's Wife, I wrote it during NaNoWriMo 2010. After I finished making all the changes to THL, I decided SPW hadn't turned out the way I wanted it to and I rewrote it last year during NaNo. First I wrote a 50k book (or a super-duper long outline) and then I wrote the real SPW, the one that just wouldn't shine during NaNo the first go-round.

So I'm sitting here at 70k with The Turncoat's Temptress, hating how I'm pretty sure I screwed up the black moment and started wishing to heaven I had some kind of plan to turn this around. And then that giant fly killer of realization hit me. I do. It's call finish the damn book and rewrite it later.

Oh, yeah! Duh!

And you can argue with me all day about how it's really a flyswatter, but do you want to swat the fly, or kill it? Think about it.

2 comments:

  1. You know what? I'm sort of the same! I've never considered myself a plotter--I know the basics going in, but that's about it. I usually figure things out as I'm writing. But maybe I AM a plotter...a slow plotter like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a plotter either. I wish I could be at times because I wonder if I might save myself a lot of grief later. But, I think if I plotted a story, it would drastically change as I wrote it.

    ReplyDelete