Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Author Interview - Michelle Kopra


Hey, y'all, today I've got indie author Michelle Kopra for you. And her book is a real treat, so run right to Amazon and buy it after you read this interview. I swear, you will not be sorry!

What's your book/current WIP about?
Current WIP is Book 5, the last novella in the Shimmy and Steam Series.

Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story?
‘A ball of red flames burst from the heart of the ship. It rose like a phoenix rose into the brilliant blue sky. Then the Gypsy shattered into a thousand pieces.’

What's your next project?
Once I’ve completed this steam punk story, I will switch back to urban fantasy to work on “By the pricking of my thumbs, something witchy this way comes.” A bit of a mouthful I know, but it’s a story about three witchy sisters who compete to become the next leader of a magical community in Fairy, Texas.

Describe your writing in a sentence.
Gosh, with Hexes In Texas I tried to be funny and quirky.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
Heaven forbid I should try to name them. And as for whispering, not bloody likely! My characters charged at me in books stores, grocery stores, parks, and at my kiddie’s schools. Screaming like banshees as they body slam me and demand I write their story.

Plotter or panster?
A story idea will pop into my head. Over the course of a week or so, I’ll put together ideas for it, then once I have the skeleton of the story down, I start plotting out chapters.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
I prefer silence. It’s bad enough I have Griszelda the warty witch cackling madly in the background of my mind.

What are you currently reading?
Kilts and Kraken by Cindy Spencer Pape

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
Question: Do you really think that by making a fairy ring of plastic mushrooms you can catch a fairy and make it give you one wish? I’m mean, you don’t really believe in magic, do you?
Answer: Yes, yes I do.

People think I'm weird because...
Because I argue with invisible friends while I shop. I also like to sing along loudly to Phil Collins in the grocery store...

Blurb:

Fed up with the slushy snow of winter, and the frigid Canadian wizards Julie McNabb wants a transfer to somewhere warm, and where the men are smoking hot!
Instead, she ends up in Bug Tussle. A small wizard farming community in Texas where the unicorns freak her out, and the resident witches watch NASCAR and eat Barbeque.
Despite her goals to get out as fast as she can, Julie makes friends, has fun, and falls for Vance, the hunky animal manager.
Now if only Julie can convince Vance to give up on Mrs. Right, for Mrs. Right Now!


Bio:
My husband says it’s because I’m a crazy writer, and I tend to  agree with him. When I look at the world around me, I see people and places  that take on fantastical attributes. A man walking across the street just isn't a man, he's a troll, on the hunt for the blue fairy. A women speeding down my  street, is being chased by steam punk elves, because she stole their aether converting mechanism.

Luckily for me, my family loves and accepts my unique  brand of crazy. They even encourage me to write down my silly notions. Although  my son will tell you there is far too much kissing in my stories!

Link for Hexes In Texas at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Hexes-In-Texas-ebook/dp/B008G0EQ42/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1

You can find links to my books, my favorite authors, and favorite links on my website at michellekopra.com

8 comments:

  1. your books sound so fun! Good luck with them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love funny and quirky...

    Congrats on your release!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Michelle, it's a pleasure getting to know you better.
    I believe in magic too. Not that any magic has come my way yet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send some pixie dust your way, Brenda :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Allison :)

    If anyone is anyone interested in a free pdf of Hexes in Texas send me an email at michellekopra@hotmail.com

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Great interview, Michelle!! Love your view of life.

    ReplyDelete