Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Author Interview - Vanessa North



What's your book/current WIP about?
Amazon is first and foremost, a romance--it’s the love story between Bianca and Jack, both Guardian werewolves from neighboring packs. However, it’s also about family and destiny, and finding a place, and the struggles that are faced when trying to enact social change.

Care to share your favorite line(s) from your story?
One of my favorite lines is actually one of the earliest hints at how Bianca feels about being “the chosen one.” She and Jack are talking, and he brings up their eventual mating, and he says something about how they haven’t used the word “mate” yet, and isn’t it a big deal. Bianca, totally deadpan, looks at him and says something like “well, you might have noticed that I’m kind of a big deal.”


What's your next project?
The next book I have coming out is a novella called “Shifter’s Dance” which was written for Musa Publishing’s shared world series “The Wiccan Haus.” Shifter’s Dance is the story of a ballet dancer who is blinded at the peak of her career, losing her job along with her eyesight, and a bear shifter named Stephen who “isn’t really a spy, exactly.”

My current work in progress is a spin off series to the Ushers, dealing with creatures called First Blood, who are sort of like vampires living in an insect-like hive society.

Describe your writing in a sentence.
My writing is a little gritty and a lot sexy.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears? 
I choose them, and I’m really, really bad at it. I once had a publisher ask me to change the names of four characters in one 30k word novella. *hangs head in shame*

Plotter or panster?
I’m definitely a plotter. I outline most of the plot before I even start writing, down to the scene. I have detailed character worksheets to which I am constantly referring, and those drive the plotting process.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
I prefer quiet, but I have four year old twins and two dogs, so I don’t always get the quiet I prefer.

What are you currently reading? 
I just finished a couple of books this weekend: “Calling the Shots” by Christine D’Abo, a M/M/F romance, and “My Fair Dork” by Daisy Harris, the latest in her Holsum College series. I enjoyed both of them immensely--Christine writes very erotic romances, and Daisy’s series is just so fun! Next on my TBR shelf is the Wild at Heart Anthology--I wrote one of the stories in this charity project which benefits the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, and I have been looking forward to reading the rest of them!

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
Hmm, I don’t know. I like talking about words, so I guess maybe I’d like someone to ask me about favorite words to use. I would say the f-bomb for sure! I also have an overfondness for the word “really”--it’s so bad that I have to go through my manuscripts when they are done and delete all the “reallys.”

People think I'm weird because...
I definitely march to the beat of my own drum--I’m drawn to artistic people and artsy things, and I don’t try to hide the things that make me different. I learned a long time ago that when I try to be something I’m not, I end up feeling isolated from the people around me. I’d much rather just be myself and surround myself with people who accept me as I am.


Title: Amazon (The Ushers, Book One)
Author: Vanessa North
Publisher: Musa Publishing
Length: 54,000 words
Genre(s): Erotic Paranormal Romance (Action, F/F/M)
Heat Level: Sizzling

Available at:
Amazon || Musa Publishing

Blurb:
Jack's routine investigation of rogue wolf sightings threatens to uncover both Bianca's secrets and her passionate nature. Can she trust him enough to make the sacrifice her destiny demands?

Born albino, Bianca was spared death in infancy when her mother found safe haven among the ghosts and misfits of Amazon Pack. As Guardian of Amazon, she protects the hidden pack with a ferocity that belies her delicate appearance.

Jack’s routine investigation of rogue wolf sightings in his territory uncovers both Bianca’s secrets and her passionate nature. He finds her alluring and terrifying: he’s convinced she’s his mate, but is she also the Usher--key to their culture’s most sacred prophecies?

The Usher’s destiny requires a sacrifice to repair a rift in wolf culture and set the Goddess free. Can Jack and Bianca trust each other enough to pay that price?

Excerpt:
Bianca pulled her v-neck t-shirt over her head, shucking off her shoes and jeans. Jack immediately started shedding his clothes as well. Growing up among wolves, he’d never really given much thought to nudity. Their bodies grew in size as they shifted, so he was accustomed to stripping down before a run in order to preserve his wardrobe. He glanced over at the Albina as she shook her hair out. Standing in the moonlight, she was stunning. He saw her delicate pink nipples were still hard and aroused from his kiss. The curls of hair on her mound were as fair as her hair, and he saw the delicate pink folds glistening, swollen with arousal, peeking through the white curls. Her beauty was astounding. He saw marks on her skin, leaned closer to examine them. Tattoos, he realized suddenly. All wolves were tattooed after their first shift. Most of them were tattooed in black ink with colors for emphasis, but several of hers were done in white. As befits Albina, he thought as he admired the elegant symbols. Her entire back was covered, here and there a shadow in grey? or a bit of color drawing attention to some of the more consequential tattoos. Clearly she was a powerful Guardian for her pack--she’d not have been tattooed so many times without having achieved her place of power by virtue of her skills. As she turned to fold her discarded clothes, he could see some scars on her body, remnants of fights won. The tattoos glimmered in the dark, beckoning him to trace them with his fingers, his tongue. He groaned, and she looked over her shoulder at him with a smile.

“Kathy has changed already, are you ready?” she asked, turning to stare at his body in the moonlight. Hard and muscled everywhere, his upper body hairy and tattooed all over. She looked at his signs and symbols of strength and honor, a visual representation of his place in his pack. They confirmed that he was a fit mate for her--his beautiful body bore scars of fights clearly dominated, and the tattoos that marked him as a leader curled around them. She smiled, her gaze lingering at the proof of his arousal, standing proudly from the bed of black curls at the top of his legs. She blushed slightly as she realized he had followed her gaze. He grinned back at her with a wink as he sank to his knees.

She had seen many wolves shift before. However, she found herself curiously watching him, to see if her mate--there was no longer a doubt in her mind that he was indeed her mate—would seem different from those others. It was sensual, witnessing his change--his body shook and he turned his head with a loud cracking noise. He owned his change like only a powerful wolf could--it was masterful, graceful almost, as his black fur grew over his body. Then he sat, watching her, a huge black wolf with golden-brown eyes. He was resplendent. She knelt next to him, still in her human form, and caressed between his ears. His fur was soft and his eyes kind. He closed them and rolled his head into her hand like a dog seeking a touch from his mistress. His essential masculine scent still surrounded him in his animal form, and as she stroked his head, he snorted and his tongue lolled out between sharp lethal teeth to lap at her hand. She loved the feel of his fur between her fingers, and he clearly enjoyed her attentions. But then he shook his head, took a couple of steps towards the woods and whined back at her. If they were mated, they’d be able to read each other’s thoughts, as pack-mates could, and even more than that, they’d be able to share their feelings through their mate bond. But even without that bond, she could sense his eagerness to run. She grinned and let loose her wolf, feeling the change work over her, bringing forward the animal, tucking the woman away inside.

About the Author:
Vanessa North was born in New England but moved to the South as a teenager, where she learned to appreciate biscuits and gravy, bluegrass, and that most welcome of greetings: “Hey y’all!” She has a degree in Mass Communication but has long since abandoned journalism in favor of writing romance. Instead of telling the news, V would rather tell stories.

Vanessa has a voracious appetite for books and loves all kinds. She writes obsessively: every day brings new ideas and stories to tell. When she’s not buried in a book—hers or someone else’s—you can find her taking thousands of photographs of the people she loves.

She lives in Northwest Georgia with her handsome husband, not-quite-civilized twin boy-children, and a
pack of dogs.

Contact Vanessa at:
Website - http://www.vanessanorth.com
Blog - http://vanessanorthwrites.wordpress.com
Facebook - http://facebook.com/authorvanessanorth
Twitter - https://twitter.com/VanessaNWrites




a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. What a great interview, ladies. I'm totally adding these books to my TBR list. I do love a good shifter book. :) And since I love bear shifters the best, I'm waiting for Shifter's Dance. Congrats on your release, Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by Melissa! I love bear shifters too--might have to write some more of them! Thanks for saying hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is now on my must read list. It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete