Skip to main content

Author Interview - Lindsey Edwards

Morning y'all. Today I have Lindsey Edwards on the blog. I met Lindsey at an ORA writing conference a couple of years ago, so give her a big warm welcome and prepare to learn about her new release Twice Tempted!

What's your book/current WIP about?
Twice Tempted is the story of Suri and Ryan, a couple reunited at a renascence festival. Their attraction is undeniable, and while Ryan is determined to make Suri remember all that was good between them before he left, Suri isn't so sure she can trust that her knight errant won’t break her heart again when his armor comes off.

Care to share your favorite line(s)?
I have several, so this is a very tough question. What I have picked out is technically two lines, but it flows better this way:

“I said I was done with you,” Suri said, but Ryan heard the slight catch in her voice.
“I know what you said,” he replied, his face so close his breath stirred the few stray hairs that hadn’t quite made it into her ponytail. “But I’ve never been the kind of man that listens very well.”

What's your next project?
I have several projects I'm working on right now. I have a fantasy trilogy I'm in the midst of writing, and a paranormal novella that just needs some fine tuning. The project that will most likely follow up Twice Tempted is a medieval short that is currently untitled.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
The most surprising thing I learned about myself is that I write in a slightly different genre than I enjoy reading in my down time. I always thought I would find myself writing straight historical, but I find all my stories have either a fantasy or paranormal twist. Twice Tempted-- an erotic contemporary-- is the exception to this. Suri and Ryan's story all but wrote itself. Four days in the writing cave and their story was born. It was such a blast to write, you just might see more contemporaries in my future. In fact, I'm in the midst of plotting one out right now...

What sparked your interest in writing romance?
It started the day I sneaked my first romance novel as a teen. I had previously been a fan of Nancy Drew, Goosebumps, Sweet Valley and Caroline B. Cooney, but I was curious about the stories on my mom's bookshelf. The women and men on the covers were so beautiful and the descriptions promised thrilling adventures and sensual encounters that left you rooting for the couple in question. Thoroughly intrigued, I swiped a Lisa Kleypas book. It took me only a couple of days to read it, and when I finished, I was enamored. Romance and all her subgenres have been home for me ever since.

Describe your writing in a sentence.
Almost poetic, never dull, verging on a fairytale.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
I keep a running tab of names I like. Whenever I need a name, I pull up my file and match a name with the personality of the character in question. There are times though when a character's name just comes to me. I like those times.

Plotter or panster?
I'm a bit of both actually. I start with a rough sketch of both the characters and story, then I let it all take its course. Typically the characters deviate from the original idea I had in mind for them, but honestly, that's when things get fun.

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
I generally listen to instrumental CD's when I'm writing. While lyrical songs are great for the plotting process, it's too distracting when I'm writing. My all time favorite CD to pop in when writing is Fairies in the Moonlight. It's a little mystic, and very inspiring.

What are you currently reading?
I'm rereading one of my favorite authors, Shana Abe. Her novels never cease inspire me, no matter how many times I revisit them.

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
That's a great question. I once asked a fantasy author in an interview what she would choose if she could possess a single super power. To that, I'd say I wish I had the power to dapple in a little magic, perhaps invent a potion for shape-shifting. (See a theme for a next book here anywhere?)

People think I'm weird because... A day isn't complete unless I've had the opportunity to write. I can actually get cranky if I don't sit down and release some of that pent up creativity. Not everyone understands that. It's one of the reasons I love my writer friends. They get me. :)


Title: Twice Tempted
Author: Lindsey Edwards
Publisher: Secret Cravings Publishing
Genre: Erotic contemporary
Available at:  Secret Cravings Publishing


BLURB:

In the six years since the man she intended to spend her life alongside left town with her heart, Suri Dalton has managed to make a fulfilling life for herself. That is, until her future collides with her past in the form of Ryan Calverton, the one man she’s unable to resist.

Although Suri has no intention of falling for his charms a second time, Ryan is determined to make her remember all that was good between them before he left, making the biggest mistake of his life. Now he’s back and intends to stake his claim, and while seduction isn’t part of his plan, it’s not far from either of their minds.

As a white knight at the renaissance fair, Ryan makes a believable man of honor on the field, yet can Suri trust that her knight errant won’t break her heart again when that armor comes off.

EXCERPT:

Putting the pick-up into reverse, Ryan pulled out of his space and into traffic. As if by habit, his hand slid over the console to link hands. Absently, his thumb stroked the back of her hand, enjoying the familiarity of her skin.

“It shouldn’t feel as if nothing has changed,” Suri quietly said.

From the corner of his eye, Ryan saw as she turned to press her forehead against the window, suddenly quiet. Then her hands slackened in his before she pulled away entirely.

With a screech of the tires, Ryan jerked the old pick-up over to the shoulder of the road where they sat in silence for several passing moments.

“I’m sorry I lied,” he said with quiet emphasis, gaze mindlessly focused on the speed limit sign up ahead. “I’m sorry I left.” Releasing his white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel, he turned to face her. “God, I’m sorry I ever even thought of leaving. But this isn’t just on me, Suri. You let me go. I gave you a choice. We broke up, but I came to you before I left, and still you let me go.”

She refused to look at him. Instead, she toyed with the strap of her purse, studiously avoiding him. Avoiding the fact that they both played a nearly equal role in destroying the only good thing either ever had.

“I know. And I hate myself as much as I do you for what happened.”

“You hate me?”

Laughing softly, she wiped an errant tear from the corner of her eye before giving him her full attention. “That was all you got out of that?”

“I’d say it was selective hearing, but that certainly wasn’t something I wanted to hear.”

“What did you want to hear, Ryan? What could you expect after all this time?”

“That you still loved me,” he admitted, his voice a soft growl of a sound.

It was a damned hard thing to put out there. It exposed him in a way he wasn’t used to, holding on to a bleak sliver of hope. He was aware that this could be her way to get even. If she could persuade him to bare his soul, she could walk away from him as surely as he’d done to her.

Visit Lindsey's blog: http://www.lindseyaedwards.blogspot.com/

Follow her on Twitter: @ThoughtfulPen

Or Facebook: www.facebook.com/AuthorLindseyEdwards

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for having me! I’m really excited about this story. Twice Tempted was just one of those fated tales that *had* to be told. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment