Skip to main content

Author Interview - Lynda Haviland


I have a very special guest for y'all today! Meet Lynda Haviland, who was a guest speaker at the ORA conference this last summer. Lynda's a fellow self-published author and her second novel in the Age of Awakening series has just been released. She'll also stop by with a one question pop quiz about ancient culture and the first person who gets it right will win a digital copy of Immortal Dynasty: Book One.

What's your book/current WIP about?
I just released Immortal Dominion, the second book in my paranormal fantasy romance series Age of Awakening. In this story, we follow extreme adventuress Jayden Hamilton on her journey to hell and back. Her life hangs in the balance between two gods: ancient dragon-shifting Earth Lords. But Jayden's survival might be far more important than just saving one soul. It could keep the prophecy at bay - for now.

Care to share your favorite line(s)?
Choosing a favorite line is like choosing a favorite movie - I love them all! But I love finding the perfect opening lines. In Immortal Dominion, chapter one opens with a simple noun: "The Great Pyramid of Egypt." What we discover is that Jayden is climbing up the Great Pyramid of Egypt in the dark of night. BASE jumping from the summit of the ancient monument is one of the last items on her bucket list.

What's your next project?
Oh, that's easy. Book three! In 2013, my goal is to release book three and a short story - both within the Age of Awakening series. Wish me luck.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
For me, the most surprising thing that I learned was the emotional journey that I would experience through my characters. Jayden's life is so very different than my own. Like her, I am a risk taker, but a measured one. I love her total commitment to freedom and her need to drain every drop of life given. I felt every emotion of her journey: joy, frustration, anguish, passion, fear, and love.

What sparked your interest in paranormal writing?
Without a doubt, Anne Rice is my all-time favorite writer. She inspired a new generation of writers and readers of vampire lore. She made them sexy (ahem, without glitter). But I have to say it wasn't her vampire series that launched my mind into paranormal creative overdrive. It was her wonderful hero Ramses from The Mummy (unrelated to the movie). She brought one of the most powerful pharaohs back to life and put him on a journey that was romantic and tragic. I knew then that I wanted to write like Anne Rice.

Do you choose character names or do the characters whisper them in your ears?
I choose them, but it's funny how certain words or names appear to you when you need them most. My series pulls themes and divinity from ancient cultures such as Summerian, Egyptian, and Phoenician. The names of my Anunnaki characters are derived from a blend of those ancient inspirations.

Plotter or panster?
Wicked plotter! However, as much as I plan and outline...I still leave room for my characters to explore and discover new things. I agree to keep an open mind, and they agree to share their secrets with me. :D

Do you like background noise or do you prefer a quiet space when you write?
Both. I have writing binges where I basically "brain dump" ideas from my head and into my Mac. This stage is usually random enough that I can have music or movies playing in the background. However, the polishing stage requires complete quiet. It's also the stage where hubby and the kids experience long delays in house cleaning and hot meals.

What are you currently reading?
Actually, I'm not reading at the moment. I'm enjoying all of the cheesy made-for-tv Christmas movies. (And I'm re-watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the millionth time before going to see The Hobbit.)

What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview and how would you answer it?
"If you could travel in time, would you want to go into the Future...or the Past?"
I am a certified Whovian! I'm a HUGE fan of Doctor Who (and Star Trek and Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica). Visiting the future is so appealing. I'm sure that you can tell by my fascination with ancient Egypt that I love history. So compelling. Look at the wonderful things you can do with history. History is fodder for fiction. So many delicious holes to fill. What really happened to Cleopatra? How did the Summarian culture suddenly show up with a written language? Who built the Sphinx? How did the Egyptians become so skilled with Geometry and higher math?

People think I'm weird because...
I never thought of myself as weird. I'm actually pretty normal, although you wouldn't know it by the things I like to read and write. So, I just asked my kids if they thought I was weird. After all, they are teenagers - right at the age where Moms and Dads are thought of as embarrassing and weird. My son said that I'm happy all the time, and my daughter said that I'm a "cool mom". Needless to say, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside right now.

Blurb:

She craves freedom and life.

BASE jumper Jayden Hamilton fears the strange disease racking her body will soon imprison her in a hospital bed. Determined to make the most of the time her body has left, a jump from the Great Pyramid goes horribly wrong. As she drops out of her normal world and lands in a dark one filled with dragons and demons, she sees an opportunity. But it comes with a deadly price. In documenting the most extreme adventure of her life, she could be destroying the one man who can truly save her and set her free.

Others crave what lurks in her veins.

Deep in his cave, Seth Ea?nki is safe from the bloodlust which haunts him, though his self-imposed exile has left him bitter. When Jayden literally falls into his life, he dares to believe that destiny is offering him a second chance. But demons lurk in shadows even deeper than those he carries in his soul. In renewing his ancient vow to protect humans, he could be jeopardizing the life of the most precious one of all ? the woman who soothes the beast inside him.

Truth is in the Blood.



About the author:
Lynda Haviland shares her immortal world with her husband, two teenagers, an aging bearded dragon, an adventurous hedgehog, and a pizza-loving parrot. Lynda will read anything about ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses, and she is constantly planning her next trip to Egypt. She admits to being heavily influenced by hazelnut coffee, Doctor Who episodes, and ancient alien theories.

Immortal Dominion: Book Two is the second novel in her debut series, Age of Awakening.

Links:
Immortal Dynasty: Book One on Amazon: http://amzn.to/ImmortalDynasty
Immortal Dominion: Book Two on Amazon: http://bit.ly/ImmortalDominion_Amazon
Lynda Haviland's Website - http://lyndahaviland.com
Lynda Haviland's Facebook Fan Page - https://www.facebook.com/lyndahaviland
Twitter: @ImmortalDiva

Comments

  1. Thanks for having me on your blog today, Allison.

    I will pop in from time to time to answer any questions. Plus, the first person to answer this question will win their choice of:

    * an ecopy of Immortal Dynasty: Book One
    * an ecopy of Immortal Dominion: Book Two
    * a coffee mug with the Immortal Dynasty banner on it

    The question is: can you name the Disney movie that is actually based on an ancient Egyptian/Greek story? You may Google it. :D

    Eternally,
    Lynda Haviland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prince of Egypt (though Hercules...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dan.

      Thanks for stopping by AND for taking a guess. The answer is not the Prince of Egypt, but I'll give you another hint: think "magic". :D

      I loved Prince of Egypt, though. Great guess.

      Delete
    2. Would you like to give it another shot, Dan?! :D

      Delete
  3. I love what your kids said about you. You've done something right, then. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. :D

      Nice to know that sometimes a Mom can reach the Cool Status!!

      Delete
  4. Ok I looked it up!! It is The Lion King!! But, I don't Google (unless I have to), I Bing or Yahoo!! Why? I don't like people who scan copyrighted material and expect the author to call them on it instead of asking first!!

    Now that that is off my chest!!

    This is a very well answered interview!! I think the Egyptian Theme of your stories is very different in the way that you combine modern sensibilities with considerably 'older' minds. But, especially the second book you definitely have cross over themes with sci fi. Besides being a futuristic Whovian or in the fantasy realm of LOR, do you read much classic Science Fiction? Like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or the dark themes of Lovecraft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judy.
      Thanks for jumping into the conversation today. Yes, I am addicted to the Egyptian mythologies.

      The Lion King is another great guess, but not the right one. I'll give you a hint: think "magic".

      :D

      Delete
    2. I didn't answer your question yesterday about classic Science Fiction. I am just getting into Lovecraft because of my son. He has this huge 2 lb book with all of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories in it. My son will read one, and then bring it to me to read because he wants to talk about it. His favorite is the legend of Cthulthu. I will say the language of Lovecraft's day is beautiful and yet a bit cumbersome.

      Delete
  5. Great post! You have a hedgehog??? I love them! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann.

      Yes, our newest addition to our menagerie is a female hedgehog named Heidi Quill. Although, she escaped her cage three times already. So maybe her name should be Hei-dini or Heidi-Go-Seek. :J

      Delete
  6. Ooo, ooo, I think I know what it is. That took some research!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...well, Herculese is Greek, and Atlants, the lost Empire has Egyptian roots...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a winner, although she already has copies of my books. So let's see if someone else can come up with it this afternoon. :D

    I'll give one more hint: think Mickey Mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Bingo! Thank you, A.M. Keller!! You have won a digital copy of Immortal Dynasty (Book One of the Age of Awakening).

      Thank you very much for joining in the conversation! Send me an email to lynda@lyndahaviland.com and I can send you your prize. Do you have an e-Reader? Which file type would you like? :D

      Delete
  10. Yay! Fantasia was my first guess, but I second-guessed myself (such a bad habit) and thought it was Atlantis. :) Congrats, A.M.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A.M. Keller supplied the winning answer, which was Fantasia - Disney's adaptation of The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

    A Greek writer named Eucrates traveled to Egypt to learn about its mysteries. While there, he apprenticed with a magician-priest. One day, when the secrective magician had left for a bit, Eucrates used the incantation he'd overheard to animate a pestle and command it to fetch water with a vase.

    However, Eucrates had not listened for the incantation to end the spell and the pestle kept bringing water and flooding the house. The magician arrived and ended the spell.

    In Fantasia, Mickey Mouse is the apprentice, the broom is the pestle, and the buckets are the vases. And, I believe, the magician in Fantasia is called - Yen Sid - which is Disney backwards. :D

    Thanks to everyone for stopping by. I am so grateful to fellow indie authors like Allison who give the gift of friendship and support.

    I wish you all a fabulous holiday season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment