Skip to main content

Get The Author A Cookie

No Friday Five today. I'm celebrating the completion of the fourth book in the Legends & Lovers series. Yep. The Siren's Sentinel is finished. Wednesday, just before noon, I typed the happily-ever-after.

Balloons make everything more fun! Erm, sort of.
Believe it or not, the last third of this book flowed from my fingers like magic . . . um, magic . . . flowing waters? Don't get me wrong. It took forever to write, but it pretty well wrote itself. It just seemed like it would never end. For a book that I spent weeks combing over the beginning, fretting it wasn't very good, the end rolled out in big chunks. A good, satisfying ending. The kind the heroine deserves after being kicked by the bad guy from the last book.

You may remember me complaining about this book a lot in the first go-round. The hero was a wuss (do people still say that?), his back story was all shifty and not that interesting. When I dreamed up the character of Ransom Shaw, I never saw him like that. It was disappointing.

When that 70k monstrosity got (subconsciously accidentally on purpose) deleted, well, it was frightening, but it was liberating too. Don't get me wrong, I could have used parts of the end of it to pad this rewrite and sorely missed it for that reason, but it allowed me to recreate Ransom. I left out a huge element from the original draft and I really worried that it would going to make this one harder to work around. It didn't. And now the book feels less crazy for it. Yay!

I'm really glad that I decided to participate in Jano. I wasn't sure I could keep up with the word count, but I kind of blew it out of the water. Last week I managed 17,000 words. Damn, I'm good. Now if only I wasn't slightly freaked out by the fact that there's only one more book in this series.

In honor of finishing this book, I will now magically reveal the cover. Presto-poof-o:


Now back to work on editing The Turncoat's Temptress for that April release! *cracks whip*

Comments