Monday, January 7, 2013

Recapping The Write-in

So by now everybody knows I'm participating in Jano. Which is like NaNo, in case you skipped the sentence where I explained that before.

On January 1st I was watching my cursor blink and thinking, I cannot do this. I was mad at the characters because they're great, but they just weren't doing what I felt like they needed to do.

I was able to corral them and make them act like functioning characters Friday night. Unfortunately, they didn't play nice and they let me whole a scene that actually comes later in the book instead of writing the scene that should have come next.

So Saturday was spent filling in the blanks. I was almost late to the write-in, mostly because I decided to do something different with my hair. I haven't had a hair cut in two months because I'm debating letting it grow out again, at least to my shoulders. Anyway, I decided to curl it like I used to. The front part, anyhow. It looked decent. But I got to the write-in, irritated because someone from Oklahoma didn't know how to park and my blood sugar was low and I had this on-going demon spawn from hell headache.

I'm the blonde head in the gray jacket on the left. I promise my hair looked
better in the front. And I was wearing make up.
I got all set up and couldn't find a wifi connection, which of course, freaked me out. How was I going to get an accurate word count? Then I couldn't think of a name for the hero's father or his nephews. Um, they all ended up being named after characters from the Dukes of Hazzard. I'm going to fix that, I swear.

I later found the wifi connection, but I didn't amend the names. Instead I worked on a scene that I wasn't sure why I was writing. Around 11:30, I had to get up because despite a glass of orange juice and some strawberries I was woozy from aching butt, headache, and low blood sugar. I sought yogurt and the company of my friend, Lisa Medley.

At lunch, I was thrilled to meet a lady I met through an online critique group. It is so awesome to really meet someone you critiqued with.

After lunch, I found that wifi connection and was able to jazz up my writing by listening to my favorites on YouTube. When I'd written 2,000 words, I got really bored and started cruising the Interwebz. Between checking to be sure the shirt I ordered was finally being delivered (I wanted to wear it Saturday, but noooo, they couldn't deliver until then) and frowning at a logo I ordered off of Fiverr.com, I managed to write another 2,000 words for a whopping total of 4,000.

I realized that I need a write-in every day. I was productive on my own on Friday, but I really had a BICHOK day on Saturday. When I got home I did another thousand words. No joke. The headache was so bad last night I barely managed a hundred words and decided to call it good for the week with a grand total of 15,547.

Everyone always says what a great time our write-ins are. We do critiques too for folks who like to get in on that. Let me say that this year's write-in was way more productive for me than last year's when I was freaking out about The Treasure Hunter's Lady.

Someone tie me to the desk because I need to finish this book and I only need about 15,000 more to do it.

5 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING PROGRESS! You are going to beat me to a finish! Keep calm and carry on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a chance, Ms. Already-In-The-70ks. But I'm soooo glad I'm so close to the finish on this one.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is amazing progress. I would be dancing in the streets!!!! I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was off playing with his friends a couple of nights and I turned the TV off and made myself do it. It was a lot of action, so it write fairly fast. I'm like you, the more emotional the scene, the harder it is to get out.

      Delete
  3. You're making awesome progress, Allison!

    ReplyDelete