Skip to main content

Character Profile: Basil Tinwhistle

Behind the character:
Name: Basil Tinwhistle
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Occupation: Junior Guardian Agent
Who are the Guardians? A group of men who hunt the preternatural, killing, stealing, and hiding it from the natural world in order to maintain peace and give innocent people who can't sense other things a chance at normal life. The Guardians have vast warehouses full of supernatural artifacts hidden from the world.

If someone came to me and asked which Hollywood actor would best portray Basil, I'd have a hard time choosing between Ian Somerhalder and Colin O'Donoghue.

Basil's name comes from ancient Greek Basileios (sexy, non?). It means "king", but when he's cast out of the Guardians, he's anything but kingly. It's pronounced Bay-zil, not Baz-il. Although his nickname is Baz.

Basil scored a 48 on the Mary Sue Litmus test. He's a big-time Mary Sue. That's the highest score any of my characters from the L&L series has gotten so far. Ouch.

Weird facts about him: I started a rough draft of the third book in the series many moons ago. Basil was supposed to be the hero of that book's boss. He wasn't supposed to have a book at all. His last name in that one: Tenpenny. I actually changed it to Tinwhistle when I started writing the first draft of TcT because I forgot what it was, but I knew there was a tin or ten in it somewhere.

A couple of my favorite lines staring Basil:

The agent cringed, but spat, “Go to hell, Tinwhistle.”
Basil snorted. “All in good time."

Comments

Post a Comment