Skip to main content

The Friday Five - I'm Glad I Took Part in Camp NaNoWriMo

Play some trumpets, fetch my crown, toss some confetti, bring me cake! No, I mean it. Bring me cake. Now!

At 12:18 CST this morning I crossed the 40k line on The Heckmasters - Wystan. That was my goal for Camp NaNoWriMo, even though I didn't start out writing that MS. I got waylaid by the Heckmaster brothers, damn their beautiful hides.

But I'm so glad I did. Let's discuss why camp worked for me in April on today's TFF.

1) I've been thinking about this series since last summer while I was writing The Turncoat's Temptress. Obviously last June during camp, I was eyeballs deep in that novel and didn't have time for this one. Bound and determined to finish up the L&L series before starting a new one, I put The Heckmasters on the back burner. As you know, I was 24k into another book on L&L when I said some not so pretty words because Wystan hijacked my brain and I started writing his book instead. Reason #2 is why.

It's not everyday I get a
sign that says that.
2) Camp was different this year. We got notified that there were some not so strict rules. Do whatever! they said. Don't want to write 50k? Write whatever length you want. Don't want to write a novel? Write a screenplay instead. (I don't write screenplays, but it's a good example). So I decided I'd write 40k of Wystan's book. I could probably manage that and it would tip me over the halfway point for the entire novel.

3) You may be wondering what's different about this trilogy than the stuff in the L&L series. I mean, there are monsters. Magic. Darkness. Sex. People who are seemingly human, yet aren't. There's not steampunk. Nary a trace. It's just (said with confidence like this is a thing) paranormal historical romance. It's not one of those 'oh, my gracious, the heroine sees dead people!' haint (haint is a hillbilly word for ghost. Just roll with it) stories. Y'know her dead great-great-grandmother is haunting her and come to find out she's really reincarnated to meet her lost in war great-great-grandfather and relive history or whatever. One of those. No, this is a Hi, welcome to city right next to the gates of Hell kind of story in old-timey times. Where your neighbors are things coughed up by the Pit (which is the portal to Hell) and for all you know, they might try to kill you. Yeah, it's that kind of story. And it's weird. I seem to excel at weird.

4) Because of the nature of this book (weirdness), it wrote extremely fast. I started with pretty much nothing and ended up with 40k. The dialogue is hilarious (if you're me), the characters are mysterious and enchanting (if you're me), and you're never going to guess what's going on with heroine for the next book (because it took me by surprise and I was writing the damn thing). I've pantsed the entire thing. And it worked. I just have 20k left to write. On Facebook, I told everyone that pantsing is an adventure. You bet your lily white it is and sometimes it's even a happy fun time adventure. My husband asked what that means and I said it's an adventure that's not scary and no one gets killed or ends up stranded on the side of the road rethinking their decisions and pretty much their whole life.

5) I managed to break a word count of 100,000 words because of Jano earlier in the year, finishing The Convict & the Cattleman, that L&L novel I stuck in the back of my flash drive (something had to replace C&C), and this book. It's April. The 4th month. And I already surpassed 100k. Damn, that feels good.

So go, be, do. Edit, write, chill. Happy Friday, kids!

Comments

  1. Congrats. I orginally set out to do 20,000 because that's what I thought I needed to add to BTH. But I ended up only adding 8,000 words (5,000) during camp before I sent it to Lyrical (thanks to you). So I reduced my goal to 10,000 thinking I would work on the circus book (aren't you happy). So far this week I have 0 words. Maybe this weekend. :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about the circus book! I loved what you brought to critique and I hope to see more of it someday.

      Delete
  2. I am ever in awe of your word count. It looks like I'll hit about 5k for April, which is a fairly good month for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any addition is an improvement. Now I have time to take a look at your chapter on the crit loop too!

      Delete
  3. Huge congratulations, Allison! You have much to be proud of and your ideas all sound highly interesting. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy doodle all the damn day. Your word count is insane!!!!
    And just so you know, I'm really looking forward to this new book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment