Monday, May 13, 2013

I'll Make the Most of it Now, So When I'm Really Crippled, it'll be Worth it

I think I was 19 or 20 when I was first sought medical advice about the pinching pains in my left wrist. It had been going on since I was about 16, off and on, usually worse during the summer and winter. That made sense, because I was a ride operator at a theme park and there was a lot of button pushing during the summers and a lot of typing for classes during the fall and winter.

I was more than a little surprised when the coroner (I'm not even joking) slash doctor at my alma mater told me, yep, I had chronic tendinitis and guess what, wait till it spreads to your right wrist, because it almost always does. Damn that correct coroner/doctor. I ice, I heat, I once got a hand massage, I wrap, I brace, I self-medicate, but there's no long-term relief. It's spread to my left elbow on two occasions, usually when I'm marathon writing. The first time was bad, the second time not as rough.

It feels like someone jabbed a bunch of springy young twigs or uncooked spaghetti noodles inside my joints while I wasn't looking. It's hard to get my fingers to cooperate and hit the keys they're supposed to. So if you see gobbledy-gook instead of real words, that's why. Also, my brain isn't functioning on all levels. I keep forgetting words I really need to use to make actual conversation. I have a lot of conversations where I just trail off because I have no idea which word I'm supposed to use.

I'm fine, really. I'm just overusing my body right now. You know why? Here's why: I'm 20k from finishing my historical romance novel, The Wrong Brother's Bride. I'm 17k from finishing The Heckmasters - Wystan. As you know, I finished the second draft of The Siren's Sentinel in January and wrote the final what, 5 or 6k on The Convict & the Cattleman in January too. I've got a lot of writing done this year.

The pain is just creativity surging through my body.

Here's a look at a screen shot of my word count chart for the year.


I only flubbed one month, when I was just trying to meet the monthly count to stay on track for writing 200k. I didn't care at that point whether I hit 200k or not. Really, I don't care if I do. It wasn't something I set out to do. I just decided I needed to get some projects going.

I promised SS this fall, but I really want to get The Heckmasters out first. I may push SS back until spring. It has some areas that need a lot of TLC I don't want to focus on right now. Mostly I was writing TWBB to see if I still had a historical in me, but then I got a request for the full which wasn't anywhere close to finished, so now I'm writing like a woman possessed.

I'm already trying to figure out what my next step is. I should be working in ideas for another historical if I'm going to keep writing them. I have very solid ideas for The Heckmasters - Eban, and they are great, if I do say so myself.

Unfortunately because of all this writing, I'm getting zero editing done. I'm getting almost no marketing done either. I feel really uninspired when it comes to marketing anyway. By Saint Booger, I'm terrible at it. However, I did line up a blog barrage for The Turncoat's Temptress today and tomorrow. Check it out and enter to win a $10 Amazon gift card by clicking here.

Here's my pretty little banner. Liz at CBLS always
does a great job on them.
In the meantime, I have novels to finish, people. Stayed tuned to my FB & G+ pages for snippets and excerpts. Because you crave them. Yes, you do. Also, encourage your friends to buy my book, because I'm a terrible marketeer. Although I do like that word.

Happy Monday (as if)!

1 comment:

  1. Holy toledo. You've been a writing machine. I seriously don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete