Friday, May 17, 2013

The Friday Five - What's On My Playlist

I want you all to be aware that the next couple of weeks, blogging may be sporadic to nonexistant. The judicial system giants have decided they need me to come in for jury duty (or selection. I thought you had to be selected before they could magically sit you on a jury?). They need my eagle-eye for justice, my rabbit-ear for fine details, and my dolphin-like brain for sorting through criminal BS.

*snort*

I can barely remember yesterday. I typed on FB "she's having his brother's brother." I meant baby. I didn't catch the mistake until someone else pointed it out. Do you people really think I should be in charge of deciding the fate of possibly innocent people's lives? Me either.
No-brainer. Get it? The skull is laughing.
You should be too. It has no brai--
ah, never mind.

Anyway, I'm 75% finished with The Wrong Brother's Bride. I have no idea what to give you for The Friday Five, so I decided on a playlist because it's a no-brainer.

So here are my top song picks for TWBB. I also believe that mp3 downloads should be tax deductible because I'm using it to power my brain and for my business, IRS people.

The premise behind TWBB is this (forgive me, I haven't done a real blurb or a synopsis for it yet): The heroine, Loyal is pregnant and engaged to be married when her fiancee is tragically killed in a freak farm accident. She knows she can't manage the farm by herself because it's 1883, and she's a pregnant woman who is now terrified of hay mowers, so she writes to her fiancee's ne'er-do-well brother, August. Thing about August is, oh wait, I already told you about the ne'er-do-well part. Well, that. But he comes at her bidding because he's always loved her. In fact, she's the reason he left, because his mean-ass brother told him that he wasn't good enough for Loyal. In truth, he wasn't. He's had years to redefine himself as the man he wants to be. But when he looks at the farm his brother created from scratch and the woman he's always desired, he's not sure he deserves his good fortune. So he has to deal with the loss of his brother, convince everyone he's not the man he was, and hide his love from Loyal because she's obvious still torn up about his brother. On top of that, she will eventually admit she wasn't sure she wanted to marry his brother, despite his deep love for her. They were very good friends, but she always felt something was missing from their relationship. Ironically, his brother tore them apart just so they could come together. *sniff* It's so beautiful.


You guys were thinking it was a whole list of bluegrass and country songs because it's a historical romance, right? *buzzer noises* Wrong!

1) Stay by Rhianna ft. Mikky Ekko. Okay, when I first heard this song, I thought it was dumb. Obviously this couple has a relationship issue and they need to be apart. But then I started thinking about how love can feel wrong, but be right. The line that says "it's not just something you take, it's given", makes me think about August's unrequited love for Loyal. He offers marriage, telling himself that it's not because of the torch he's carried all those years, but to be a father-figure to his brother's child. As time passes and it looks like maybe Loyal will never give in and love August, (refer to the lines "oh, it's the reason I hold on, oh 'cause I need this hole gone" and "not really sure how I feel about it"), she eventually realizes through a series of crap nobody should have to put up with, that is a different man and he's totally lovable.

2) Broken by Seether ft. Amy Lee. Well... dude wrote it because he had to leave his baby daughter behind to go on tour. Which is sad. I don't know if it's that song sad, but whatever. This song works for TWBB because August left Loyal behind to pursue (a very manly) career in logging. The lines "The worst is over now and we can breathe again / I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away" signify the sadness Loyal and August feel when they think about his brother. It was sort of gruesome, the way he died and August regrets not being there or mending the rift between them. She regrets not loving him enough, but when she starts to realize she's in love with August, it steals her pain.

3) Almost Home by Jono Manson. Seriously, this is one of my favorite songs. It was on the soundtrack of The Postman, which is one of my favorite movies (the ultimate in the hero's journey trope). The line "You say I got no right to feel what I feel when I look into your eyes" sums up August's inability to tell Loyal how he feels. His brother knew and didn't think August had to right to feel that way. Nothing like a family feud where one brother walks away the loser.

4) Make You Feel My Love by Adele. When you put it like that, it sort of sounds like a Taylor Swift song. You will feel my love. You belong to me. I will tie you up in my basement forever until you love me. But it's not. First featured on Hope Floats and sung by Garth Brooks, it's since been seen on When In Rome. This is the part that just screams August! "I know you haven't made your mind up yet / But I would never do you wrong. / I've known it from the moment that we met, / No doubt in my mind where you belong." There's a scene where Loyal talks about how mean August was as a boy and he says, "Little boys always torture little girls they think are pretty.”

5) Distance by Christina Perry. Okay, if I haven't made August sound lovesick enough, here's another sappy song about someone who can't tell the person they love that they love them. "So I'll make sure to keep my distance. / Say I love you when you're not listening." and "Call it anything but love." make this a good example for how they tiptoe around the fact that they're married, but they're both too guilty to be in love at first.

Almost Home and Make You Feel My Love were also choices for The Turncoat's Temptress playlist, along with Taylor Swift ft. Civil Wars' Safe and Sound. Ah, music. Tell me about your playlists. What songs should I be listening to?

Now, go, be, do, kids. Have a great weekend and fear not if you don't see me much next week because I'm snoozing through jury duty, er, playing judge and jury to a bunch of allegedly guilty people. (I wouldn't have to be apathetic if you didn't have to break the law. For shame.)

4 comments:

  1. I've been called for jury duty, but the case was settled so we were all dismissed. Woohoo! Who knows what kind of story ideas you might get, though.

    I've also never written with a play list. I might give it a try, but I'm afraid I would end up listening to the song instead of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe jury duty will launch me into the thriller genre? I really hope not.

      Delete
  2. I love music, but I can't listen to it when I write. I end up writing the lyrics and I think that's called plagerism? But BTH would definatly have a country sound track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think you might be right about the plagerism bit. I can think of some really fitting country songs for BTH. Lots of Lady Antebellum.

      Delete