Skip to main content

It's My Birthaversary, So...

Birtha-what now? In case you're not up to date on Allison-speak, birthaversary is the last week in June (usually) in which both my birthday (I'm 19... 12 years running this year) and my wedding anniversary (8 hundred years) occur (that's actually today. Yay, another year we haven't killed each other). So it's birthaversary week.

I have news. Big, shiny news. I love giving news. I wanted to blurt it out the minute I found out, because I'm a really sh!tty secret keeper, but I held it in. It's so big and shiny and it makes me smile like an idiot every time I think about it. I'm nerdy like that.

Right at the end of March/beginning of April, I started working on a new historical romance novel. I didn't really tell you about it, because I was pretty sure I was going to flop it and it would get stuffed into the dark recesses of my flash drive with the one we don't talk about. Okay, we do talk about it. It was my first NaNo project and it bombed. I use bits and pieces of it in other novels, so in a way it's seen the light of day and it other ways, it never will.

I had difficulty coming up with a title for this new historical romance, but I settled on The Wrong Brother's Bride. I told you about several posts ago. You can read them if you're bored. I won't drag you through them again here. I was trying to finish up Camp NaNo in April after that disaster with what was supposed to be the 5th book in the L&L series that we're never talking about again--until we do--when I decided to write The Heckmasters instead. At the same time, I was writing this HR. When I hit my word count goal on the Heckmasters, I kind of set it aside--I'm still working on that thing, even though I wrote the ending already. I focused harder on my HR because I sent the first couple of pages to an editor who requested the full. I told you about that a few posts ago too. I finished it in mid-May, which you also know, and began pre-edits the way Lyrical wants them. Then I sent it to my editor there. She assured me that while she was working on the first round of content edits for The Convict and the Cattleman that she was reading TWBB. I was all, okay, I can wait. No biggy.

I finished my content edits and mailed them to her a little earlier than she asked, go me. Rah-rah and stuff. Then she e-mailed me back. And she said she'd finished TWBB and she liked it, so she was going to recommend the contract to Lyrical's owner.

Yeah. That's right. Another contract. On a book I finished in a month and a half because a different editor asked for the full. I wrote TWBB with the intention of subbing it to Lyrical above all others, but I couldn't resist sending it to another house's critique just to see what the eds there thought. I love TWBB because it's set very close to my home and in one of my favorite places in the world, the township that encompassed Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. I'm just drawn there, to the history of the place.

I was really nervous about this one, because I usually don't write this fast and I'd never, ever dream of writing one and then doing those kinds of edits and sending it two weeks after finishing it. It was crazy and that's saying something because everyone knows I'm two bricks shy of french fry picnic. So I'm thrilled to say I very happily signed the contract for The Wrong Brother's Bride last Thrusday and it was finalized Saturday.

Oh my, I have no ideas for cover design on this one. I really didn't put much thought into it because I was so nervous about sending it. Ah! Now I have to figure out something because it's nice to get your paperwork done ASAP.

I got a new contract! Happy birthaversary to me! I've felt like spinning in circles like Julie Andrews on that mountaintop. I've laughed and cried happy tears and giggled like an idiot for almost two weeks. I've been in an unusually good mood, which might be scaring my husband a little bit because he's used to me being cranky. Seriously, I've cut back on my caffeine consumption and I haven't been sleeping so great, but I'm so happy. You'd think I won the lottery.

Contract. The Wrong Brother's Bride. No official word, but it will most likely come out sometime next year. I'll let you know for sure, of course.

Comments

  1. Woohoo! You're rocking it! I'd noticed your Facebook posts seemed awfully chipper. ;) Congratulations. You deserve it.

    And I never could have kept the secret so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a challenge to keep quiet. Luckily, I've been really busy, which helped.

      Delete
  2. I'm seriously happy for you. You've worked so hard self publishing it's nice you're getting some recognition from publishers. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wanda. It's actually a little scarier to work with a publisher than to self-pub. Is that weird? But it's exciting too.

      Delete
  3. SUPER DUPER CONGRATULATIONS! This is wonderful, wonderful news. LOLOLOLOL, you did a great job keeping this secret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. It is wonderful news. It's been a good news month. I wish they were all this great!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!!! So happy for you. I tell you, other writers organizations better watch out. ORA is putting out some hot commodities this year!

    As to keeping the secret. I couldn't do it in a million kazillion years. As soon as I could breathe, I'd be shouting it to the mountain tops.

    See ya soon for the official hug! ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome, Allison! Congratulations to you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment