Skip to main content

The Friday Five - Little Known Facts

As I struggle to come up with something brilliant to say--this sh!t doesn't come easy all the time, y'all--and I'm reading other people's blogs desperately trying to give you something so you don't abandon me like a mama cat with devil kittens, it occurs to me that I know things about my series that you don't know. So I'm going to tell you some of these little secrets. Enjoy them. Savor them. Now when people ask, you can spout off useless knowledge about the Legends & Lovers series. You know you want to.

1) The opening scene of The Turncoat's Temptress is a scene I wrote in 2011 after half a dozen agent rejections and the one that almost gave me a nervous breakdown. That would be Big Nervous Breakdown #2, if you're counting. Nora Frost was supposed to be the new Romy Farrington. Romy is British and Nora was going to be the Americanized version. Until I just decided to re-set The Treasure Hunter's Lady in America. Then it felt like Nora would be a good fit for Basil.

2) Basil Tinwhistle was only supposed to be a minor character. In the first draft of a book that shall remain nameless because it had a really stoopid name and it only made it to maybe 7000 words, he was British, way more condescending, and he had both legs. He only lost a leg when I decided to give him his own book. Which was before The Sky Pirate's Wife was finished, of course.

3) In the original draft of The Treasure Hunter's Lady, set in Australia (you already knew that), the Great Snake story was 100% different than the one in the published version. At the end, the Serpent was benevolent instead of a psycho, although she didn't tolerate any foolishness and forced Abel to admit he loved Romy before giving them the cure for the venom.

4) In the original draft of The Sky Pirate's Wife, Sophie ran to Van Buren and he tricked her into marriage. She thought his ship was empty and it would be a good place to hide. She was a lot more tomboyish in that draft than she ended up being in the published version. Also, at the end, instead of Sophie taking an electromagnetic blast for Van Buren, he gets shot with a real gun and then badassedly stabs the bad guy in the throat with a knife. The bad guy never publicly answers for his crimes against Van Buren.

5) When I wrote the first draft of The Turncoat's Temptress, I wrote Abel, Romy, Van Buren, and Sophie into it because, hey, it was Camp Nano and I had no idea where the plot was going. I seriously considered cutting them because this is the first book in the series that you have to read the first two in order to understand who these crazy supernatural-killing people are. The Treasure Hunter's Lady and The Sky Pirate's Wife read just fine as stand-alones, even though Abel and Romy are mentioned in SPW.

Okay, that's what I've got for you today. Tell your friends. Then go, be, do.

Comments

  1. Fun stuff. It's an awesome series, and I love hearing about how the stories and characters evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the five facts. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bloody loved every book in this series. Basil is my fav hero, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment