Skip to main content

The Friday Five - Some Grammar Here, Some Grammar There

I used Grammarly to grammar check this post, because...I mean, do you people read this blog? I write pretty much exactly the way I talk. If it seems like madness on the page, just imagine what it's like inside my head.

Just so you know, this post is sponsored by Grammarly. To continue with the theme from last week, we're talking about five grammatical thingies you're messing up in your manuscript. Because it's Friday and you're going to learn, that's why! Without further ado...

1) Bad vs. Badly - Because I'm a hick, you'll catch me mixing these two up when I talk. I want to go to the store real bad. If you're lucky, not only will I say that, but I'll say it with a drawl. Most folks don't know about my drawl, because I save it for the people I really love. My husband is from farther out in the sticks than me, but I can drawl with the best of them. Anyway, bad vs. badly. Double check your characters' dialogue, because unless they're from the South, or they just don't give a hoot, it's weak, weak, weak.
Example (wrong): It hurt pretty bad.
Example (right): It hurt badly.

2) Bring vs. Take - Okay, I'll admit it. I'm clueless when it comes to these two. Let's learn something, eh?
Take:
Example (right): I'm going to take a pie to my grandma.
Example (wrong): I'm going to bring pie to Grandma.
Bring:
Example (right): We're going to bring Anne with us.
Example (slightly less right, but not quite wrong): We're going to bring whiskey to go with Grandma's pie.

3) 'Til or Till - Admit it, this one mess you up. Because the word is until, so it should be 'til if you want to shorten it. Or not. In fact, these are two different words with similar meanings. So unless you mean till, go for it, but if you want to shorten the word until, then throw an apostrophe in front of that thing.
Till: attributed to be used before until, circa the 1300's.

4) Feel vs. Believe - When you feel something, it's usually physical. When you believe something, it's a condition of your mind.
Example: I believe this chocolate cake is better than riding in a Ferrari with Fabio.
Example: I feel sick after eating that chocolate cake and riding in the Ferrari with Fabio.

5) Historic vs. Historical - I didn't write me no historic novel. Although it would be nice if they were found historic. The most historic historical romance novelist of her time. Wouldn't that be sweet? What's the diff?
Historic - an important event
Historical - something that happened in the past.

*Ahem* I thought you might also like to know that when I checked this post with Grammarly, there were a few issues. Oops.




There you go, you made it, you learned, now go apply your knowledge, kids. Go, be, do. (And use Grammarly's site so you don't end up with a 50% out of 100%.)

Comments

  1. LOL, I always say bad instead of badly. Seriously, badly sounds wrong to my ear.
    I want to see the Lone Ranger so bad....
    I want to see the Lone Ranger so badly...badly kinda sounds more whiny...

    As for the take bit. I like bring--because I am bringing the pie to grandma's house, lol. I know take is correct, but it doesn't have the same...feel as bring, hehehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badly does sound awkward. I think I'll just carry on being wrong. I say bring and take wrong too.

      I'm bringing pie to the party! Ah, well. At least you know there'll be pie there.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll continue being wrong, lol. And if someone tries to correct me, I'll want to punch them in the neck so bad...LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment