Friday, September 20, 2013

The Friday Five - What's Shakin' This Weekend

It's here! The kick-off for the weekend I've waited on. That's right. Starting tonight and stretching into tomorrow, ORACon is going down! Months and months of planning have gone into this and it's sure to be enjoyable. Let's take a peek at five things that are going to happen!

1) Dinner tonight at Flame in downtown Springfield, MO. Admittedly, I am terrified of downtown because last year a shirtless hobo called me 'honey' and I smiled at a stranger's dog and if looks could kill, the lady who owned the dog would have murdered me. However, once inside the restaurant with 20-odd people I know, or have at least seen pictures of, my heart climbs out of my throat and I forget I have to face the weirdos again for two hours (writing weirdos good, stranger weirdos bad!). We'll worry about how I get back to my car after my stomach is full.

Also on Friday afternoon, there's a Meet the Authors event at the Barnes and Noble bookstore on Glenstone and Battlefield. I get off work too late to go and then make sure I'm presentable for dinner, but if you don't have to do that, the event looks like oodles of fun.

CMSEter/SXC.hu
2) I will rise bright and early on Saturday morning to help at the registration desk and get the raffle baskets straightened out, and do whatever else requires the help of a peon. I make a damn good peon, if I do say so myself.

3) I will be wearing this bad-ass hat. You'll want to see it. It's time the fascinator makes a comeback and I plan to lead the charge. I've also included another fabulous hat creation in my raffle basket. It's perfect for an open carriage ride during these late summer or the early fall days. Because I'm just that awesome.

4) I made Book Cover Bingo, featuring ORA members' book covers. They are wicked cool. We'll be playing for an Amazon gift card. It features 25 fantastic covers like this one. (There's also a copy of that tucked into a certain raffle basket along with a super cool hat.)

5) By the time we've got everyone registered, sent their on their way to their pitches, headshot appointments, listened to our speakers, raffled baskets, signed books, and given out the Weta awards, I will need a big one of these:
A nap, not an elephant! 00109/SXH.hu
Have a great weekend, everybody!

3 comments:

  1. I'd reply with my to-do list for the next two days, but I don't have time. I need to pull out my photo gear and make sure I have everything I need to set up my mini-studio before I head to Springfield to pick up the gong for the Query Letter Gong Show. And eat breakfast. Have to do that. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on my Feedly folders. Just popping in to say hi. Sounds like you've got a busy weekend!

    ReplyDelete