Friday, October 4, 2013

NaNaNaNa, NaNaNaNa, Hey, Hey, Hey, NaNo!

On October 2nd, the webmasters at Nanowrimo.org updated the site. It's real purty. I bounced over there right away to update my book for this year's upcoming battle. Holy cow! I'm so excited. Mind, this is the only thing about November that comes anywhere close to exciting me. I'd rather stab, hack, and slash that month right out of the calendar. By now, you must know, I hate November with a passion words can't even describe. Anyway...

Gearing up for NaNo means I get to talk about my soon-to-be WIP. You may have guessed that it's the second book in the Heckmasters series. Let's call it Eban, because he's the brother the book is centered on. As you may or may not know, Camp NaNoWriMo was dedicated to writing the first book. I hit 40,175 words in April, which took care of the biggest part of that novel.

Looking back on last year, I realized that I didn't even attempt Nano. It was the first year since '09 I hadn't participated (I wrote The Turncoat's Temptress at camp that year and didn't hit 50k on it either). So I'm looking forward to giving it my best shot this year.

Do I have a plan?

*Dead silence*

Do I ever?

Do I have a plot?

Well, duh.

Am I prepared for 1,667 words each day that will no doubt bring on the pain (physical, mental, and emotional?)

Uh, yeah!

I'm really excited about putting Eban and Beryl down on the screen. Not to mention the little demon who's trying to keep them apart. She's going to be really fun to play with.

Just a few things to bear in mind as NaNo season approaches:
1) Stay caffeinated.
2) Create as much drama and tension between the characters as possible.
3) Write through the pain--just the emotional pain. Stop and put an ice pack on those achy tendons.
4) The bad guys can be wonderfully bad, but they never win.
5) The month will progress whether I'm writing or not. I might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

It's Friday (thank God). Go, be, do.

2 comments:

  1. I bet you're a NaNo queen. I'm still in editing mode, and I don't think I'm going to be ready to dive into a new book next month. Maybe JANO!

    ReplyDelete