Skip to main content

The Friday Fail - Cop Out

Um...I forgot it's Friday. I've been off by an entire day for most of the week. It isn't that I wanted to relive Tuesday (I heartily dislike Tuesdays, because they're like extra Mondays, blocking you from more do-able Wednesday), it's just that I was really surprised to find out on the 9th that it was the 9th and not the 8th, so I've been messed up.

I failed you on this day of Frigg. My sincerest apologies. In my defense, I've done a ton of writing this week, trying to maintain some sort of deadline to finish Wildwood Spring. Well, I met my word count goal, which is something. I'm very close to the end and hopefully will finish today so I can spend the weekend editing. Today, I'd like to talk about the music that helped me get as far as I have in this novel. I know, it's a cop out. I promise to do better in the future.

1) Buying the Space Farm - composed by Michael Giachhino on the Star Trek Into Darkness score. Hopefully you've seen the movie by now, because if not, I'm about to spoil the hell out of it for you. Kirk carks it. This the song that plays while he's carking it and sharing a dying bromance moment with Spock. I like the song because it's soft and a little sad and it fit really well with Wildwood Spring because the heroine's mother carks it when the heroine's miracle fails to work.

2) You're Just a Man in a Mask - Hans Zimmer on The Lone Ranger score. This one is great for the dark/dangerous sections of the story. Anytime anything remotely creepy or frightening happened to the heroine, I turned this one on. It was great for the black moment scene in the story. I actually like to start it at about 0:31 seconds for the best effect.

3) City of Bones - composed by Atli Örvarsson on The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones score. This one is a recent add, but I liked it for another part of the black moment. Very dramatic stuff, perfect for *clears throat* a hero whose childhood home is burning down around his ears and he knows he's about to lose everything (specifically the woman he loves).

4) Farewell to Dobby - Alexandre Desplat on the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I) score. I like to start this one a little later in the track too, because it has this annoying ring at the beginning. Moving song, good for the tender moments in the story.

5) Everything Has Changed - Taylor Swift. *Sigh* I don't like TS, if you want me to be honest. I think she's a using little so-and-so who dates men so she can write songs about them. Or maybe she's confused about what life really is. I don't know. I do know I like this song. My favorite line is 'Your eyes look like coming home'. That really compounds the love story in Wildwood Spring, the whole reason the heroine doesn't just leave the town once her mother dies, but actually goes back to find the hero. And despite all the weird in the house and the lies, she knows she's where she belongs.

Okay, that's all I've got. It's Friday. Go, be, do.

Comments