Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Peaks and Plateaus

Today's post is brought to you by the letter D for get it Done!

So Monday night I was valiantly typing away and it hits me that I'm so close to my NaNoWriMo goal. The first time in two years like I mentioned in the last post. I didn't play ball last year, instead choosing to save the book I'd been working on for Jano after stupidly deleting 70k, but it's okay, because I kind of hated it. The year before, I was working on The Sky Pirate's Wife, which was also a second draft after the first one just didn't fly. I didn't meet the 50k goal, coming up short in the 40ks, I think. 2011 was kind of a rough year, so it didn't hit the priority beacon.

Remember, I lost my flash drive containing the opening of The Heckmasters: Eban, back in early October. I was only 1200 words in at the time. The beginning came to me as I was finishing Wystan, although I knew I didn't want to start it immediately after Wystan was done. I needed a little space (sure, because I started Wildwood Spring a couple weeks after that). Even when I pitched Wystan, I had to mention I only had the first thousand or so words done on the second book. At the time, it felt like another 60k+ was a dream.

It always starts that way. I'll sit there, looking at maybe the first 1,000 or 5,000 or even 10,000 words and think, how will I ever get a complete novel out of this? I usually strive for 1,000 words a day if I'm not doing a book-in-a-month event. Sometimes those words are painstaking and sometimes they flow really well, but I feel good once they're down.

To be honest, I didn't think Eban was going to go very well. I was excited about starting it, even at 4 and 5k in, but then I lost interest around day 6 and I was pretty sure I was going to fail. I did two or three days of no writing (they sucked) and then I couldn't take it anymore, so I crawled back to my MS and started in again. I've been up and then way down in word count this month. There are lots of peaks and plateaus, friends.
Like this. With stairs and everything. Photo by: Eva Schuster

Word by sometimes terrible word filled blank pages with zero help from the magic writing fairies. Usually at the halfway point, I go back and reread everything to make sure it's flowing. Nope. Not this time. I only have the vaguest idea what Eban is about, but it'll have to do until the end comes. My subconscious is amazing at pulling scenes together, although sometimes it gets dates messed up. I hope there's something salvageable in this MS. I have the feeling the first three or four chapters are eaten up with back story.

God willing and the electricity doesn't fail, I'll be able to put this one to bed in the next couple of weeks. The black moments are kind of sneaking up on me and I'm a little surprised to find myself so close to the end.

Also, tomorrow is Turkey Day here in the US. Have a good one, even if it's just a regular Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment