Skip to main content

The Friday Five - Old-Timey Things That Happened

Welcome to Friday. It's very nearly Saturday (okay, it's not close enough, is it?), and I have some old-timey things that happened. Because you're here to learn, that's why. Things that happened in January--go!



1) Ellis Island opened for immigration registration January 1, 1892. Over 12 million people were processed there until it closed in November 1954. Some famous people to go through were Charles Chaplin, Frank Capra, and the Von Trapp family. The island was alive with the sound of children singing...never mind.
Not pictured: The Von Trapp family
Courtesy of the Library of Congress

2) January 6, 1919, Theodore Roosevelt died. Not while he was riding a moose across a river, I'm sad to say. Damn you, internet, for making me believe that photo was real *shakes fist angrily*. He died in his sleep from a blood clot, which seems really tame when you consider he once gave a speech an hour after he'd been shot. What the what, Teddy? A gunshot wound couldn't kill you, but a blood clot got the job done?

3) The first Super Bowl was held January 15, 1967. The teams were the Kansas City Chiefs (oh, to dream of another Super Bowl) and the Green Bay Packers. The Packers won 35 to 10. The cost of a 30 second commercial was $42,000.

Courtesy of the Library of Congress
4) January 17, 1806, Martha, Thomas Jefferson's daughter, gives birth to James Madison Randolph, the first baby born in the White House. Less than 20 babies have been born in the White House.

5) And today, 166 years ago, in 1848, gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill, California, sparking a "gold rush". Three hundred thousand (yep, 300,000) people arrived from various parts of the United States and Mexico to stake their claim in gold. San Francisco went from about 200 residents to 36,000 by 1852.

Did you learn something? I hope so. Stay warm, kids, because it's a cold mother of a day out there. We hit -2 last night, and I don't hold out much hope that we're gonna have a tropical heatwave any time soon.

Go, be, do.

Comments

  1. Now I'm in the mood to research the Gold Rush. And go to San Francisco. I wonder if it's warm there today. I need warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, the more I read, the more interested I got and then I thought, I bet it's warm there. Or at least quite a bit warmer than it is here.

      Delete
  2. Love this post. I actually learned a few things today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that Teddy Roosevelt never rode on a moose, wasn't it? I'm soooo disappointed by that.

      Delete

Post a Comment