Friday, June 27, 2014

Friday Feature - Taking Pleasure Where You Can by Sheri Velarde

Hey, y'all. Today's Friday Feature is from fellow Breathless Press author Sheri Velarde. You ready?

First I want to say a huge thank you to Allison for letting me stop by today to "flirt" a little and chat about the writing of my new short, Taking Pleasure Where You Can. This is a very personal piece for me, as it is my first foray into the historical romance genre and it is set in WWII, so a lot of the influence came from stories my grandfather told me about his time during the war. So thanks again Allison for having me!

Today I am going to talk a little about the writing process, especially when it comes to tough scenes. Writing is a very personal experience and it can take a lot out of you to write about certain events and moods. Now for me the naughty scenes are always a little hard for me to write, but that was not the case in Taking Pleasure Where You Can. For this story the toughest thing to write was the emotional shut down of my protagonist, John. He suffered horrors that I cannot even imagine at Pearl Harbor and trying to convey just how hard that was on a human being was extremely difficult.

Now I did have some firsthand accounts, so to speak, of the horrors of Pearl Harbor. My grandfather arrived there the day after the attack and helped with the cleanup. That was very traumatic on my grandfather and he never spoke much about it, not even to his war buddies. I tried to channel some of my grandfather's deep and profound sorrow into John. Put myself in that mindset was very hard and draining on me, but I felt that it was something that had to be done. I sort of hate how the war and Pearl Harbor made me character a shell of a man, but what I hate even more that John is a representative for so many real life men who suffered the same fate during that time.  This story is my little homage to those men and women, like my grandparents, who made it through such a terrible time in history.

Excerpt:
Joe seemed to know everyone, and everyone seemed keen to be near him. It made it much easier for the quiet by nature and still healing John to slowly make some friends. Once the drinks started flowing, he even began to loosen up a bit. He missed hanging out with guys, telling stories, joking around, and laughing. His Captain had been right; this was what he needed and what his friends who had passed on would want. He was beginning to feel alive again, and it felt good. Then he caught sight of her.


Blurb:
John never thought that he would be the same after Pearl Harbor, then he set eyes on Imee and everything changed.

Ever since Pearl Harbor John had become a shell of a man, not able to move on from the trauma. One night out with the guys and one woman were about to change everything.

Get it at:
Breathless Press

About the Author:
Kelly Ryan, aka Sheri Velarde, lives in New Mexico and grew up with a fascination for all things that "go bump in the night", so it is no wonder that she turned to writing paranormal romance among other genres of romance. She is an avid exerciser and gets some of her best ideas while on runs. She also has a bit of a wild side, which only leads to inspiration for her writing.

Being an avid reader since an early age, she has wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember. She has been writing all her life, but only recently started to actually try to pursue her dream of writing for a living. She is constantly putting out new material, so it is best to keep up with her on her website.

Kelly/Sheri is a multi-published author; you can keep up to date with all things Kelly Ryan/Sheri Velarde at: www.sherivelarde.weebly.com.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, kudos to you for writing about such an interesting period of time, as well as being a challenging scenario in which to write a romance. I'm a WWI junkie myself, but I can't remember the last time I read anything set in WW2. I really look forward to reading this.

    I find one of the challenges of writing during a war is that it was such an overwhelmingly grim time - so much death and sacrifice all around. It can be difficult to balance that kind of loss with all the issues surrounding falling in love. Do you find it difficult as well? Or does the drama of war serve to fuel the romance?

    ReplyDelete