Skip to main content

Don't Cry Because It's Over

You guys know I love Halloween. It's one of my favorite holidays, even though I wish it was earlier in the year, because I hate fall.

So I got you this photo of me looking like some damn creepy doll:
Photo: Jill Slack
Dead eyes, painted-on smile, well, the whole expression is just horrifying. I do my best.

Because God forbid I look normal in a photograph.

This happened Saturday morning at the Ozarks Romance Authors convention. A great time was had by all. At least, I haven't heard anyone say they didn't have a great time. It was really, really good.

I decided pretty much last-minute that I was going to pitch a novella I haven't told this blog about. It's sooper sekrit, like, you know, everything else I've done this year. You know how I suck at pitching? This year, I told my stupid brain it was not going to screw this up and I read. from. the. cards. the way God intended someone to read from index cards.

The editor stopped me once, asked a question, and after my answer, said, "Well that's f***ed up."

I was like, I know, right? But old timey times. It didn't matter if things were f***ed up back then, because hey, conflict, which was something these editors and agents couldn't remind us about enough. I'm super proud of myself for not screwing up a pitch. Third time was the charm.

Lunch was spectacular. Lunch is always spectacular when there's cheese and dessert. The piece of apple pie I had was made in Heaven.

So here are some other photos you need to see from conference:
I take bad selfies. It should be a crime. Photo: Jill Slack

This is my Wystan gift basket. That casket had candy in it.
It said, "Here lies the body of Diane Rott. She was alive,
but now she's not." Hilarious. Yes, that's hard liquor in there too.

I made the book cover bingo sheets. Here's one with all the
authors' signatures on it. Cute, no?
My fab crit parter, Lisa Medley writes about reapers (they're
way sexier than this guy), so I felt I needed to liven up
our hotel room by adding a scythe.
I also got  a deep lesson in killing my darlings where I was once again reminded that I can't write a first chapter to save my life. Never get cocky people--this is a lesson my dad tried to instill in me, yet I never learned. I have some major reconstruction to do on...well, everything I've written recently. Henh. You'd think I'd be used to that by now.

I followed up my conference experience by napping at home.

To be honest, I'm sad ORAcon2014 is over. But...but...it all went by so fast! Come back! Man, I want next year's conference to be here already!

I have editing to do, chapters to improve, ideas to put down. It's Monday, but the conference got some motivation pulsing through my veins. Woohoo!

Comments

  1. I hope everybody had a great time at ORAcon. I know I did! And now I need to dig in and get some editing done so I can send my baby out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your pic is adorbs, and BIG congrats on the pitch! We've had a lot of seekrits lately, haven't we????

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great conference. I'm still exhausted though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. Now it seems as if the whole thing went by in whirlwind.
    It was a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pics! Took me all day to figure out what was missing. You didn't have on one of your cute little hats! Seemed like a really long day but then I'm like 'It's over?" So yep, time to plan for next year. Hopefully, I'll be in a better frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment