Friday, March 13, 2015

The Friday Five - Friday the 13th Historical Events


It's Friday the 13th and there's nothing we can do about it. Has bad luck hit you yet? I woke up with sludge in my throat and feeling like I've been hit by a train, but I'm blaming it on being around some smokers in the bowling alley (where I sucked at both games as per usual) and the change to Daylight Saving Time. Someday I will feel rested again, I'm sure. And perhaps soon my sinus medication will kick in. Until then...blurg.

Let's do something fun. Five things that happened This Day in History. Go!

1) 1781- William Herschel discovers Uranus. Go ahead, laugh. I'll wait. ...... Done? The seventh planet in our solar system was originally called Georgium Sidus, but some jerk face said, "Let's call it by a deity name like the other planets." So that's what happened and now we've got Uranus orbiting the sun. Keep laughing.

2) 1881 - Tsar Alexander the II was assassinated. As seemed to happen with a few Russian leaders. His assassins were caught and hanged and the People's Will, who rallied against him and tried to overthrow czarism were suppressed until the early 20th century.

3) 1836 - Sam Houston ran like mad from Santa Anna's army following the Alamo. His armies were pretty much a ragtag band of men who might've known what to do with a gun, but weren't particularly skilled in battle tactics. They got their sh!t together on April 21 and attacked Santa Anna's troops although they were outnumbered about 2 to 1. Santa Anna called for the withdrawl of his troops from Texas. Sweet, sweet Texas victory.

4) 606 - In 606, they recorded the 12th sighting of Halley's comet. It should be back around in 2061, if you're still alive. I'll be roughly 79 then and probably won't be that interested, assuming I make it that long. It's been recorded since approximately 240 BC.

5) 1906 - Susan B. Anthony died of pneumonia. She was a well-know suffragette who had her face on the American $1 coin until 1981. They were discontinued because of the size and resemblance to the quarter.

Some of my facts come from History.com, Wikipedia, historyorb.com and historynet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment