Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sometimes You Laugh, Sometimes You Cry

I bought waterproof mascara. Live and learn.
This is a really terrible picture of me. I'm trying to smile, because I have every reason (see previous post). It may not look like it, but there are some pretty serious tears in this photo. That's because yesterday Holly emailed me the final copies of Tell (The Heckmasters, Book 3).

Two years and roughly 210,000 words later (more if you count the blog posts, Tweets, FB updates, words cut, lost off my SD card, and general chitchat about them) The Heckmasters series is finished.

Tell won't show up on your ereader or in your mailbox until March 8, 2016. There are reviews to look forward to, promo to plan, and incessant talking about the Heckmaster boys in the coming months. It's over, but it's not over, you know?

I don't think I've ever cried so hard over finishing a book as I have with this one. Number 13 rolled around at the beginning of summer, but I sure didn't cry when I finished it. I did when I finished Tell (who was number 12), and I cried again when Holly said she was sending the contract. Cried some more when the cover came. Cried again then I got the first round of edits--and it wasn't even because they were hard. Didn't cry so much during rounds two and three, but I did when I got the email with the final books. That's where this photo comes in.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but Tell is my favorite Heckmaster. I probably put more of myself in him than was necessary. It was a beautiful journey getting to this spot. Beautiful, hard, sometimes confusing. Happy tears when people like the books, huge frowny faces when they didn't. All this out of a tombstone at a kiosk in a mall.

Goodbye isn't forever, because they're at hand any time I want to read them. Which is the cool thing about books.

1 comment:

  1. Love!!!! I can't wait for Tell's story... And to find out his true name!

    ReplyDelete