Skip to main content

A Very Lawless Playlist

One of my favorite things when I got serious about writing Lawless was the music I listened to as the world unfolded. To be honest, one of the songs that really got me thinking about Lawless and a character who could be given a chance to redeem his past was Aerosmith's "Kiss Your Past Goodbye". It's a song about a hooker, sure, but it's also about redemption. That title would have made a cool tagline for the book, except I went other places with it.

I did bookmarks for Lawless and on the back instead of the blurb, I put the top five songs I listened to while writing. Here's the full list:

Kiss Your Past Goodbye - Aerosmith

Cold Hearted Man - AC/DC

Don't Cry - GNR

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Bad Company - Bad Company

Renegade - Styx

Wheel in the Sky - Journey

Someday Never Comes - CCR

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - GNR

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin

The Sound of Silence - Disturbed

Waitin' 'Round to Die - Whitney Morgan

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

Back to the Sun - Kentucky Headhunters

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

Behind Blue Eyes - The Who

Bury Me With My Guns On - Bobaflex (I have to thank Lisa Medley for this one. It was so fitting.)

If Clayton Wilder was a modern-day character, I have no doubt he'd have these jams going in his barely-street legal souped-up sports car. He would play "Wish You Were Here" while leaning on his brother's tombstone, drinking a beer. Of course, per the ending, Wilder might not have that sports car for long...anyway, music tames the savage beast and it sure helped thousands of words find a home on the page. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Awesome! When I heard Bury Me With My Guns On (especially that INTRO where he talks, I knew it was for YOU and Wilder!)
    Also, your newsletter listed ALL of the YouTube videos at the bottom. Sooooo cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment